joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow to ice to wind driven rain discussion/obs 2/23-2/25 SNE CNE NNE

Ginx snewx

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38F. Stunned that there is still snow left. Should be gone soon enough.

We were still at 32* when I went out to pick up  pizza at 6:30 last  night. and had solid cover when I went to the wood pile at 9:00.  Only a few patches remain now.

At least we may have put a dent in the drought.

Storm total precip 1.98" as of 7 AM.  Had 2.5" snow 5-11 AM yestt, then ZR though with light accretion, 0.2" or less, still enough to bend trees onto road shoulders and break a few branches.  Temp on the indoor-outdoor was 32.0 when I got home yesterday at 5:45, had not varied at all thru 9:45 before leaping to 32.1 at 10.  Seeing absolutely no temp change over 4 hours, as ZR varied from dz to moderate, made me wonder if the (new) instrument was broken.

Loud crash of thunder woke me at 2:45 AM, also saw some distant flashes, and temp then was still 32.1.  From 6 to 7 this morning temp wiggled between 32.1-32.7.  Icy trees and foggy roads (our gravel road was sudden-death slippery, others just wet) until heading down south side of Mile Hill just past the Rome-New Sharon line, where the ice disappeared.  Temp signs in Belgrade 15-16 miles to my south read 55 - nice CAD reinforcement by the Kennebec Highlands.

As disappointing as this season has been, there is something to be said for burying NYC with the 3rd large east coast blizzard ever recorded, and then laying a severe thunderstorms watch over the same city just a month later.
Impressive.....that was an impressive display last night....though I slept through it.

Hey, if winter will not produce in the traditional sense, I'll take that over 38* and mist any day of the week.

At least some areas cashed

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTSPOTTER REPORTSNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME1052 PM EST WED FEB 24 2016THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATIONIS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOPOBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESEREPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE ATWEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS                     SNOWFALL           OF                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENTMAINE...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...   SAINT PAMPHILE         8.0   850 PM  2/24  1/2 INCH OF SLEET   2 WNW SAINT AGATHA     7.7   904 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER   MADAWASKA              6.5   643 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER   VAN BUREN              6.0   904 PM  2/24  SOCIAL MEDIA   15 WSW FORT KENT       6.0   706 PM  2/24  SOCIAL MEDIA   2 NNW WESTFIELD        5.0   505 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER   4 ENE NEW SWEDEN       4.4   801 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER   PRESQUE ISLE           4.0   526 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER   1 N CARIBOU            3.4   700 PM  2/24  TRAINED SPOTTER...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...   DOVER-FOXCROFT         2.0   634 PM  2/24  PUBLIC   GREENVILLE             2.0   633 PM  2/24  PUBLIC

The global models largely missed the area of moderate/heavy rain currently from ENY into VT.  At least it was significantly underdone.  It's significant enough that ALB just issued flood warnings and is forecasting an additional .5 to .75" liquid.  

Freezing levels are starting to drop.  I imagine some of the higher peaks in SVT and maybe the Berks could change over to snow this afternoon.

The global models largely missed the area of moderate/heavy rain currently from ENY into VT. At least it was significantly underdone. It's significant enough that ALB just issued flood warnings and is forecast and additional .5 to .75" liquid.

Freezing levels are starting to drop. I imagine some of the higher peaks in SVT and maybe the Berks could change over to snow this afternoon.

?

Archived