• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

And of course we all tend to look at our own areas. I had no idea it showed you guys staying that cold that long.

If you could get the low a little more to the east you might end colder longer than what the euro shows.

Just looked back and just yesterday at 12z it still had the low offshore and temps into like the low-to-mid 30s at peak around here. Even last night the slp was basically hugging the shore. Today it goes right over this area.

I think in the end the transition debate will come down to a few hours and not be too noticeable which ended up right. Partly because there is something of a break between the first part and the rain part. I don't think anyone around here is going to be piling up ice or anything.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looked back and just yesterday at 12z it still had the low offshore and temps into like the low-to-mid 30s at peak around here. Even last night the slp was basically hugging the shore. Today it goes right over this area.

I think in the end the transition debate will come down to a few hours and not be too noticeable which ended up right. Partly because there is something of a break between the first part and the rain part. I don't think anyone around here is going to be piling up ice or anything.

If the transition occurs during rush hour tomorrow evening, that could have a bit of impact.  But it looks like it probably holds off until around 0z and with tomorrow being a holiday anyway, the impact of a few hours of -FZDZ is probably pretty minimal.

The elitists of this forum can continue their contemptuous attitude about 'weenies', but the fact is that it's the Euro that is coming around to the NAM snow totals.  The globals are terrible at modeling CAD.  There was an LWX guy last night on this forum who basically said the NAM is a better model for this type of situation.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Euro-hugging. 

The euro hasn't wavered for 3 days and 6 runs for the most part. The only change today was to bump precip on the front side. And only added .1-.2 or so. Saying the euro wasn't by far the best on this is flat out wrong.

Agreed. Everything is caving to the Euro. It has had basically the same evolution for 3 days. Glad to see it adjust the temps on this run. It was definitely running too warm yesterday IMO.

The elitists of this forum can continue their contemptuous attitude about 'weenies', but the fact is that it's the Euro that is coming around to the NAM snow totals.  The globals are terrible at modeling CAD.  There was an LWX guy last night on this forum who basically said the NAM is a better model for this type of situation.

Problem is when the NAM has the storm evolution wrong who the hell cares what it shows with CAD?

Comments like that are why I post less than I used to. 

Agreed. Everything is caving to the Euro. It has had basically the same evolution for 3 days. Glad to see it adjust the temps on this run. It was definitely running too warm yesterday IMO.

Yes. For sure. It only had one run that was way east and cold and I believe that was Thursday's night 0z run. It was steadfast for days before that run and then every run that followed that one. The only change is that the thump is more pronounced.

I think Ian brought it up, do we get any good SRs in the beginning of the snow late tonight?  Or is it just straight 10:1?

Depends on temps in the snow growth zone and whether they're optimal for dendrites vs. plates or columns.  The start of the blizzard had similarly cold surface temps, but temps aloft were generally >-10C, which meant we didn't get dendrites to start.  So, our ratios at the beginning of the blizzard were kinda lousy.  Didn't get good dendrites until the deform band. 

GFS sounding for 12z tomorrow has sub -10C temps above 700mb, so we might get some dendrites. 

It's actually been quite steady on temps unless we're focused on a few hours as warmer air comes in.

Below is a snapshot for 6z Tue since that's when most of the area has just risen above freezing per the Euro. A little cooler with time but nothing huge. Arguably 0z temps (http://imgur.com/a/r9Toa) have been even steadier. Again, looking at a few hours difference here with any changes at most. The low warms things up at some point on approach regardless.  As noted by Wes and others the main difference here is more liquid early.

People forget the globals are getting pretty high resolution these days particularly the Euro. This might become the new need more sampling argument soon.

9o3PuUW.png

aOAslSs.png

uKAh7AW.png

MvwCsQD.png

Kabp4FO.png

It's actually been quite steady on temps unless we're focused on a few hours as warmer air comes in.

Below is a snapshot for 6z Tue since that's when most of the area has just risen above freezing per the Euro. A little cooler with time but nothing huge. Arguably 0z temps (http://imgur.com/a/r9Toa) have been even steadier. Again, looking at a few hours difference here with any changes at most. The low warms things up at some point on approach regardless. As noted by Wes and others the main difference here is more liquid early.

People forget the globals are getting pretty high resolution these days particularly the Euro. This might become the new need more sampling argument soon.

9o3PuUW.png

aOAslSs.png

uKAh7AW.png

MvwCsQD.png

Kabp4FO.png

Amazing....and getting slightly cooler as we get closer which I think is pretty typical of most models in this situation.

Depends on temps in the snow growth zone and whether they're optimal for dendrites vs. plates or columns.  The start of the blizzard had similarly cold surface temps, but temps aloft were generally >-10C, which meant we didn't get dendrites to start.  So, our ratios at the beginning of the blizzard were kinda lousy.  Didn't get good dendrites until the deform band. 

GFS sounding for 12z tomorrow has sub -10C temps above 700mb, so we might get some dendrites. 

I'm surprised SR is not mentioned in Tim Vasquez's weather map handbook. What's it stand for?

3-5 inches fairly rapidly then glaze over it, some persistent falls west and north of DC, more rapid transition to rain further east, foggy due to saturation of lower levels by late Monday night ... I don't think wind gusts will be too extreme as the storm only deepens rapidly in n.e. NY state and by then front is being stabilized by secondary wave in Midwest which could give a 1-2 inch top up on the soggy mess left over by Tuesday night.

Below is a snapshot for 6z Tue since that's when most of the area has just risen above freezing per the Euro. A little cooler with time but nothing huge. Arguably 0z temps (http://imgur.com/a/r9Toa) have been even steadier. Again, looking at a few hours difference here with any changes at most. The low warms things up at some point on approach regardless.  As noted by Wes and others the main difference here is more liquid early.

9o3PuUW.png

aOAslSs.png

uKAh7AW.png

MvwCsQD.png

Kabp4FO.png

Thanks Ian. That's all it takes is though slightly inching colder temps by a couple miles a run to save this area. I actually like how overall the model blend may turn out nicely across the full suite of guidance available.

Amazing....and getting slightly cooler as we get closer which I think is pretty typical of most models in this situation.

Modeling is sick these days. I'm not sure everyone realizes how good it is. The Euro is close to making a lot of people  unemployed.

We had all dendrites the other night here with the arrival of the arctic front. Even though the heavier echoes with the line of snow showers were a bit south of here we still picked up an inch. The snow was incredibly light and fluffy. I would bet the liquid content couldn't have been more than .03-.04.

Archived