joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAP has snow reaching DC by 1:00am. NAM BARELY above freezing 4:00am Tuesday, like literally 32.2. After that it takes off, don't know if it's NAM being NAM, it's still trending to the globals with 50s in DC/Baltimore. And wow RGEM is way west, rides the WV/OH border lol.

Most aggressive run of the NAM yet. It's showing consistency with this and we are in the model's wheelhouse. Hard to toss it.

Yeah, definitely aggressive with keeping the cold air in.  I'm out to 36h on TT (00Z tomorrow evening), and the surface 32 degree line is well south of DC, sort of along a Richmond to approx. St. Mary's county (MD) line.  Looks like upper 20s in the metro areas.

Yeah, definitely aggressive with keeping the cold air in. I'm out to 36h on TT (00Z tomorrow evening), and the surface 32 degree line is well south of DC, sort of along a Richmond to approx. St. Mary's county (MD) line. Looks like upper 20s in the metro areas.

At hour 39 the cold is still entrenched in the area. 8ce114e83781091135f1aad168960418.jpg

IMHO, this is the best possible run we can get. It dumps on us for the front end, then the FRZA showers become spotty throughout the day so we don't deal with a major ice storm.

At hour 39 the cold is still entrenched in the area. 8ce114e83781091135f1aad168960418.jpg

IMHO, this is the best possible run we can get. It dumps on us for the front end, then the FRZA showers become spotty throughout the day so we don't deal with a major ice storm.

I would expect there to be some freezing drizzle even if the radar shows nothing. Skating rink is definitely the word...

4K looks exactly like the low res version with a dry spot pushing in while the 0*C line is still down in St Mary's. Looks like snow then freezing rain showers.

4K snowfall looks better for those west of D.C. and about the same if not a little worse for Mt. Parkton, but we all know it won't stay that way.

It might this time. This isn't out type of setup. That's ok we did good up here Tuesday. But the nam is moving towards what I said a couple days ago could happen. That waa wave probably goes west to east south of us. Then the main storm cuts up well west. Dc is in a better spot then up here for the waa thump. No one east of Elkins has much chance with the low. That's a lost cause. It's barely even going to have much snow with it anywhere it's more an inverted trough then a storm. But focusing on the lead wave I would be more worried about a miss south in dc from that then north. The best qpf from those type setups isn't goimg to be that far into the cold air. If the 850 line is down near nc the best snows should run across Roanoke and central va. Definitely not 150 miles into the arctic air. No lift there. Closer to the boundary is where you want to be. Good luck to you though, after the last few gut punches dc deserves to do well here. I had a great week up here I'll be fine.

What I find believable about the NAM is that we often see precip type changes with different "rounds" of precipitation.  So, the NAM sends the initial stuff through as snow (probably overdone on the amounts - it is the NAM), then after that shuts off we go dry/freezing drizzle.  Then the big wave of moisture moves in, with some front end ZR but quickly turning over to plain rain with the heavier precip. 

It will be interesting to see what happens between 0-6z tues. Euro twins have most of us go from 30 to the low 40's by 6z. RGEM similar but upper 30's. Gfs is in the mid 30's. NAM twins are cold outliers.

All guidance give me 2"+ of snow. I take comfort in that. Para euro gives me 3" and so does the gfs.

My guess is the nam twins are too cold/snowy/icy but I hope they're right

As I posted earlier, if the heavier precip gets into the area a little quicker than GFS/Euro is showing, 12k NAM becomes a possible reality. The difference between 06z and 12z NAM is it gets the heavier stuff further north - we'll see. Happy it went wetter tho... better than drier.

What I find believable about the NAM is that we often see precip type changes with different "rounds" of precipitation.  So, the NAM sends the initial stuff through as snow (probably overdone on the amounts - it is the NAM), then after that shuts off we go dry/freezing drizzle.  Then the big wave of moisture moves in, with some front end ZR but quickly turning over to plain rain with the heavier precip. 

I think that is right.  Plus its hard to stay freezing rain with a deluge and marginal temps because freezing releases latent heat. 

Archived