• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

The intensity of the rain matters a lot.  Moderate to heavy rain is not going to acrete significantly at or near freezing.  Not to mention, water has a very high specific heat, and a much greater thermal conductivity than air.  Therefore, rain will quickly bring the surface temp to the temperature of the rain.  I don't think the cold ground matters for very long.

I think the evolution here is really important.  Not saying the 4kNAM is right, but there is a pretty big lull in the western burbs before the big warm push comes, and even then the model keeps the western burbs at 32.  This is kind of a 2-part event and we have to score some precip in part 1

ETA - this is hour 51

post-66-0-17345300-1455419210_thumb.png

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the evolution here is really important.  Not saying the 4kNAM is right, but there is a pretty big lull in the western burbs before the big warm push comes, and even then the model keeps the western burbs at 32.  This is kind of a 2-part event and we have to score some precip in part 1

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-13 at 10.04.10 PM.png

That scenario is our worst nightmare out here.

Bob, I respect you, but if you look at the pages back me and ers-wxman were both doing detailed pbp of the NAM... I made one sarcastic posts that half of the board seemed to get... and suddenly got attacked while at least two Winchester guy sarcastically mourned about their 0.1" of precipitation.

And also, RGEM looks marginally warmer at the surface than the NAM... would probably mean less ice, especially for the non-favored areas.

In the hours between runs banter doesn't matter much. But right in the middle runs posting something that causes a slew of responses is a derailment and not why we're here. Winchester guys bumming out a out light precip and posting about it won't derail anything. There's a difference.

On topic- the rgem makes more sense than the Nam. A little warmer at the surface and not as prolific with the front end stuff.

Yeah, the 4K is a better event for the most part because its so much colder.

One thing I question about the nam twins is punching precip into the hp so early. That's a tall order with a 1035+ not too far away. RGEM makes more sense in my brain even though it's not as kind in the snow dept. I hope my logic is flawed.

I think the evolution here is really important. Not saying the 4kNAM is right, but there is a pretty big lull in the western burbs before the big warm push comes, and even then the model keeps the western burbs at 32. This is kind of a 2-part event and we have to score some precip in part 1

ETA - this is hour 51

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 10.04.10 PM.png

The heavy precip after that lull would easily push surface temps above 32

You should be a professional meteorologist for the NWS who only forecasts bust scenarios.

since we fail 90% of the time, finding the way we fail seems to be the best way to forecast. When I start having trouble finding a way to fail that's when I know we get crushed. I knew 72 hours out dc to balt was getting obliterated by snowzilla and by 48 hours when the euro started to cave knew up here was too. Unfortunately fail is usually the better way to go. Sometimes I'm also just throwing out what to be wary of. Someone has to be the pessimist.

One other thing to mention that I was going to post before the board went down - 

I'd definitely want to be in the usual elevated spots for this one.  Hopefully we can at least get some light snow during the day on Monday since it will stick...It would be ashame not to take some advantage of the air mass.....I think it also worth reminding everyone that the ice event last winter was really impressive, even here. It is hard to get some epic ice event, but minor-moderate ice events can happen, even in DC (not saying it will this time).

One other thing to mention that I was going to post before the board went down - 

I'd definitely want to be in the usual elevated spots for this one.  Hopefully we can at least get some light snow during the day on Monday since it will stick...It would be ashame not to take some advantage of the air mass.....I think it also worth reminding everyone that the ice event last winter was really impressive, even here. It is hard to get some epic ice event, but minor-moderate ice events can happen, even in DC (not saying it will this time).

In a CAD event, are lower elevations more likely to see ice?

One thing I question about the nam twins is punching precip into the hp so early. That's a tall order with a 1035+ not too far away. RGEM makes more sense in my brain even though it's not as kind in the snow dept. I hope my logic is flawed.

That evolution works well here according to that depiction but it would be tough waiting for it.

In a CAD event, are lower elevations more likely to see ice?

Sometimes that can happen, but I think it's more a case by case basis. Of course western areas and higher elevations are typically favored, but not always. For this event they are.

GFS is weak sauce. Looks like 1-2" before a change to ZR. Keeps the heavier precipitation to South/Central VA, like the NAM

GFS is a totally different scenario now. That low going up the west side of the apps isn't all that shocking. It won't be shocking if the next run has it on the east side.

Archived