joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly in-situ cad but let's see how far off the coast this goes.

It could be on to something.. I dunno. This doesn't seem like a great in situ CAD situation. If it has this kind of sfc look tomorrow night I'd take it a little more seriously. At this range I'm going to go with a blend of better models plus some local understanding.

Does this situation bear any resemblance to the storm last season where we started very briefly as snow then to IP for a time and then ZR which hung a lot longer than predicted because temps did not go above freezing as quickly as predicted? We went over 32 very late that night but the ice hung on till next morning and melted that day

Does this situation bear any resemblance to the storm last season where we started very briefly as snow then to IP for a time and then ZR which hung a lot longer than predicted because temps did not go above freezing as quickly as predicted? We went over 32 very late that night but the ice hung on till next morning and melted that day

Are you talking about 3/1/15? Or...? 

The 00z GGEM splits the low, with centers of roughly equal pressure on either side of the apps.  From what I can tell from the public maps, the 12z Euro did something similar, and the 00z GFS went completely to the west.   The NAM looks like it goes east of the apps, and so does the 00z UKMET, although it's hard to tell. 

At 72 hours, the UKMET has a 995 low over NJ, and the GFS has a 992 low northeast of Montreal.  Interesting storm. 

Are you talking about 3/1/15? Or...? 

He's probably talking about 2/21/15, and the situations are remarkably similar in a way, but we weren't sweating the front end thump as much.  It was a better precip delivery scenario.  But super cold fresh air mass, retreating high.  Low was to our west.  We ended up staying cold even here in the city longer than forecast, and it was probably the best icing scenario down here I'd seen in years. Treacherous to walk around.  I got 3.5" before the flip.

He's probably talking about 2/21/15, and the situations are remarkably similar in a way, but we weren't sweating the front end thump as much.  It was a better precip delivery scenario.  But super cold fresh air mass, retreating high.  Low was to our west.  We ended up staying cold even here in the city longer than forecast, and it was probably the best icing scenario down here I'd seen in years. Treacherous to walk around.  I got 3.5" before the flip.

Here is the 15z surface map from 2/21/15.  It started snowing right around 10am

post-66-0-84628500-1455426651_thumb.gif

I feel like the bar for this keeps getting taken down a peg each run. At this rate by Monday we will be looking at radar just trying to get precip to us befire temps spike. Then just as any decent rates pick up with barely a coating on the ground ping ping then an hour later drip drip.

You've glass-half emptied your way to 150" in the last 2 years so might as well continue...you're on a roll

I was being careful before I quoted, re-reading what he wrote multiple times. With him in Odenton near BWI, I'm not sure what he experienced, but I thought a quick burst of snow to IP then a prolonged ZR event didn't sound like 2/21/15 for any of the DC-Baltimore area. 

And yes, 2/21/15 is now the legendary 'weenie' storm for hostile setups before verification :)

I was being careful before I quoted, re-reading what he wrote multiple times. With him in Odenton near BWI, I'm not sure what he experienced, but I thought a quick burst of snow to IP then a prolonged ZR event didn't sound like 2/21/15 for any of the DC-Baltimore area. 

And yes, 2/21/15 is now the legendary 'weenie' storm for hostile setups before verification :)

definitely an outlier in terms of result. The state of the roads and sidewalks downtown was like 98th percentile for a ZR event

You've glass-half emptied your way to 150" in the last 2 years so might as well continue...you're on a roll

closer to 100 but yea it seems to be working and most times lately I've been playing the pessimist mostly in jest but honestly I don't have much expectation on this. Of course I hope the nam is right but I won't be surprised if this is neussance flakes quickly to rain. I really am pretty down on this one. Hope I bust.

closer to 100 but yea it seems to be working and most times lately I've been playing the pessimist mostly in jest but honestly I don't have much expectation on this. Of course I hope the nam is right but I won't be surprised if this is neussance flakes quickly to rain. I really am pretty down on this one. Hope I bust.

Chances of a bust are pretty high....Biggest fear is we wake up and look out the window for hours sweating radar and waiting for precip

Here is the 15z surface map from 2/21/15.  It started snowing right around 10am

attachicon.gifnamussfc2015022115.gif

It has some similar features but that pattern was not amplified at all over CONUS. Was sort of just a moisture bomb running into cold air. Barely even a low pressure. Admittedly, this event is considerably weaker at the surface today than it was a few days ago which seemingly keeps the door open a bit. 

These departing arctic air masses are different than very cold Canadian highs.  Dewpoint would be like 2 if its going Sunday night.

I think 3-5" and then these transitions can be very slow and more drizzly than deluge snow eaters.

These departing arctic air masses are different than very cold Canadian highs.  Dewpoint would be like 2 if its going Sunday night.

I think 3-5" and then these transitions can be very slow and more drizzly than deluge snow eaters.

I agree 100% that models aren't terribly skilled at getting the surface right and we often do well in terms of holding on to cold air longer than progged.  I worry about how much moisture we can get in here ahead of the main complex.  

Archived