joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest NAM run sort of fits the conceptual model for these type of events. Having grown up and forecasted in the mid Atlantic for several years, we've seen this many times. Last year's 5-6" on a south wind was about as good of a front end thump as one could ask for around here (with the sfc high well offshore) -- a benchmark of sorts for WAA-only events.

I like the idea of 2-4" with the front end as we scour out the arctic airmass in place (over/under for me is 2"), followed by light sleet/fz drizzle as we await the next WAA surge. Surface temps stay below freezing meanwhile because of the in-situ CAD -- i.e. those low dewpoints and wetbulbs helping out with the diabstic cooling early and with a snowpack and weak surface advection by Monday evening, where is the surface warming gonna come from (at least before the next WAA surge on Tue)?

Very rarely in this type of a pattern we go from snow to sleet to mod fz rain or rain. We typically dry slot first (fz drizzle), then await the next wave several hours later.

The latest NAM run sort of fits the conceptual model for these type of events. Having grown up and forecasted in the mid Atlantic for several years, we've seen this many times. Last year's 5-6" on a south wind was about as good of a front end thump as one could ask for around here (with the sfc high well offshore) -- a benchmark of sorts for WAA-only events.

I like the idea of 2-4" with the front end as we scour out the arctic airmass in place (over/under for me is 2"), followed by light sleet/fz drizzle as we await the next WAA surge. Surface temps stay below freezing meanwhile because of the in-situ CAD -- i.e. those low dewpoints and wetbulbs helping out with the diabstic cooling early and with a snowpack and weak surface advection by Monday evening, where is the surface warming gonna come from (at least before the next WAA surge on Tue)?

Very rarely in this type of a pattern we go from snow to sleet to mod fz rain or rain. We typically dry slot first (fz drizzle), then await the next wave several hours later.

This is well written. Likely scenario

Archived