• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents Day storm Part 2

Ji

GFS is a totally different scenario now. That low going up the west side of the apps isn't all that shocking. It won't be shocking if the next run has it on the east side.

I've thought the ultimate possible solutions are pretty polarized (east or west) because it isn't that common for a low to run up the gut and right over us.  That said, it is a huge shft...I think the goal posts or the either/or are a little more narrow than that.  A low over Columbus seems unlikely...

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wasted

It's a dig at our play-by-play a few pages back. Its fine. I don't care. I like weather models, and I like analyzing them. I think that the NAM is another scenario that should be examined. If he doesn't want to read me and you analyzing them, he doesn't have to.

On topic: Still not a consensus with the track... GFS is even farther west than 12z. Hope to see some convergence tomorrow with the globals and mesoscales.

It's got pretty decent agreement from the RGEM so who knows. I am not sure the NAM has a wheelhouse. But the RGEM is usually pretty solid at this range. 

There is some conventional wisdom that the NAM handles CAD better than the globals, and maybe that is true, but the problem is the NAM isn't a very good winter model, so it is always hard to put much faith in it, especially when it doesn't have a lot of support.

All in all, I'd favor the euro - It is has been more consistent and it is better than all the other models.  You want to look at all the data, but the Euro is a superior model.  Given that and its relative consistency hard to veer too far from it...

There is some conventional wisdom that the NAM handles CAD better than the globals, and maybe that is true, but the problem is the NAM isn't a very good winter model, so it is always hard to put much faith in it, especially when it doesn't have a lot of support.

All in all, I'd favor the euro - It is has been more consistent and it is better than all the other models. You want to look at all the data, but the Euro is a superior model. Given that and its relative consistency hard to veer too far from it...

Wasnt the NAM king on 2/14/07?

All in all, I'd favor the euro - It is has been more consistent and it is better than all the other models.  You want to look at all the data, but the Euro is a superior model.  Given that and its relative consistency hard to veer too far from it...

NAM did awful on 2/21 with the 1-3" for Leesburg setup. BUT GFS is also not showing run to run continuity on this.  Think  this run made a big move to the 12z Euro.

All in all, I'd favor the euro - It is has been more consistent and it is better than all the other models. You want to look at all the data, but the Euro is a superior model. Given that and its relative consistency hard to veer too far from it...

Yes. The consistency is hard to overlook. Before the blizzard the euro was a little bouncy with the heavy snow center but the gfs was very steady. This time the euro really hasn't wavered.

I agree with you. The Euro is the safest bet for sure. It is interesting how different the solutions have been with the past couple of events. The last one the writing was on the wall for me. I knew it was a classic screw job for my area days in advance. This one is a little more tricky with the very cold air in place.

Globals don't do so well with situations like this

That's not really true. They can underestimate CAD especially from range but they tend to get the general gist as it closes. The Euro is pretty freaking hi res at this point.

Archived