joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more post to show just how much things can change....

In the February 2015 storm. Northeast Georgia got clobbered with freezing rain. The upstate of SC was cold enough to stay mainly sleet with surface temps in the upper 20's. It was one heck of a CAD event.

42 hours before the event, this is what the ukmet showed. Would anyone guess that northeast Georgia gets hammered with freezing rain looking at that map? What about a strong CAD wedge? There's no high pressure progged on this ukmet map, lol.

FYI, lots of other models where taking the surface low in a similar direction. (the ukie wasn't on an island with this solution).

Wasn't that the ice storm were GSP kept lowering totals despite the fact rain was falling with temps near 30?

Wasn't that the ice storm were GSP kept lowering totals despite the fact rain was falling with temps near 30?

They had the northern most upstate in a winter storm storm warning  prior to the event starting. It wasn't until wetbulbs were being reached that they expanded the winter storm warning to the entire upstate.

To be fair though, I don't think there was a single model that showed places like greenwood,sc and elberton, ga dropping below freezing the morning of the event. It wasn't until a few hours before the event started that surface obs indicated we would drop so far below freezing. The Hrr started to catch on a few hours before the event got cranking as well.

I can tell you the morning of the event for my backyard, the "coldest" models had me wetbulbing down to 32 and then staying around 33 and rain throughout the evening. I actually wetbulbed down to 27.4 that evening and my temperature was 31.3 when the last batch of precip moved through late that night. 

In many ways this event is reminding me of that one. We are still a longs way off though, so things can ovbiously drastically change. That being said, if the GFS/NAM/CMC depictions are close to accurate, I think we'll wind up with much more ice than what those models are showing right now.(based largely off what happened last year, and in other CAD events.)

They had the northern most upstate in a winter storm storm warning prior to the event starting. It wasn't until wetbulbs were being reached that they expanded the winter storm warning to the entire upstate.

To be fair though, I don't think there was a single model that showed places like greenwood,sc and elberton, ga dropping below freezing the morning of the event. It wasn't until a few hours before the event started that surface obs indicated we would drop so far below freezing. The Hrr started to catch on a few hours before the event got cranking as well.

I can tell you the morning of the event for my backyard, the "coldest" models had me wetbulbing down to 32 and then staying around 33 and rain throughout the evening. I actually wetbulbed down to 27.4 that evening and my temperature was 31.3 when the last batch of precip moved through late that night.

In many ways this event is reminding me of that one. We are still a longs way off though, so things can ovbiously drastically change. That being said, if the GFS/NAM/CMC depictions are close to accurate, I think we'll wind up with much more ice than what those models are showing right now.(based largely off what happened last year, and in other CAD events.)

that's the storm about two weeks before the snowstorm? That was the storm as early as 72 hours out the Euro and it's ensemble mean had me getting a foot. I ended up with an inch of sleet and a couple hours of freezing rain before rain.

They had the northern most upstate in a winter storm storm warning prior to the event starting. It wasn't until wetbulbs were being reached that they expanded the winter storm warning to the entire upstate.

I was thinking February of last year when a storm came through with DP in the single digits to near zero. Was mostly sleet that started out briefly as snow. I think that high was moving out as well but I wet bulbed down to the low 20's.

I was thinking February of last year when a storm came through with DP in the single digits to near zero. Was mostly sleet that started out briefly as snow. I think that high was moving out as well but I wet bulbed down to the low 20's.

Yep,

that's the event i'm talking about it. The day before the event no models had freezing rain in georgia other than higher elevations. This is what wound up happening...

post-309-0-29977800-1455331105_thumb.png

NAM is a tick north with the low (bad)

A tick quicker kicking the high out (bad)

A tick stronger with the low (bad

But at least the precip gets here early.

What's going on off the SC coast? Looks like it's trying to pop a low out there. Atlantic moisture fetch too.

EDIT: Actually a tick south at 60hr.

Coastal front/trough.

The 00Z NAM has the look of one of those storms where we wait and wait and wait for the precip to make it over the mountains. The radar will continue to show the moisture coming off the mountains to the east, and yet we'll wait 12 hours before it begins to reach the ground.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

No doubt, the run has snow over MBY for like 8-10 hrs and QPF output is only .05-.10" for that entire period, so it will snow for that long and we will get a inch at best. Then a few hrs later it like 50 with thunderstorms.....to bad this cant stay a strung out mess and just head east from Arkansas to the Atlantic, that would be a nice over running event for everyone north of it. It wouldnt be a blockbuster storm but still...

Even if the main band winds up trending north/warmer, it's looking to me like there could be serious roads problems Monday morning for all of NC and even down to the midlands of SC. Most models are generating some light precip in these areas with temps down in the mid to upper 20's to start the day.

post-309-0-19376600-1455331785_thumb.png

Even if the main band winds up trending north/warmer, it's looking to me like there could be serious roads problems Monday morning for all of NC and even down to the midlands of SC. Most models are generating some light precip in these areas with temps down in the mid to upper 20's to start the day.

NAM got wetter than 18z... but temps are still suspect. Even at the highest, CAD areas in the Piedmont are ~ 33 with a dewpoint of spotty 32 and 33s. I doubt they go that high, but as the weather offices love to say, STAY TUNED!

00z NAM ..verbatim a minor event for NE Ga, the Upstate and Charlotte.  at most 1/8 in of glaze before the cold retreats.  Seems to be a big slug of moisture come through after that.  totally different story if the cold air stays in place.....but I'll leave that to more qualified folks to discern.

And honestly, that's what I'm rooting for. Not fun running chainsaws and sitting in a cold, dark house! If it's not snow/sleet, give me rain.

Archived