• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Lets just start with the short range stuff.....say tomorrows cold and DPs for example, and see if the models have that right. If they correctly see the low DPs and dont bust high on the temps then maybe they have sunday night and monday night correct as well. I have a hunch my morning temps from Kvegas up to Stuart tomorrow morning will be a solid 3-5 degrees colder than forecast right now.

Edit - dang beanskip, we had the same thought there! Totally agree.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS 2m temps at 48 hours look much more like 0z NAM than 0z RGEM.

And those temps are before precip arrives, so with the DPs we will have I'm speaking of upstate, its going to cool another 4-5 degrees so we looking at mid 20s and even when the waa start to take over the storm could be over causing us to stay frozen the whole event.

Updated WPC Probabilities for Snow and Freezing Rain

lIHbTPv.png

xCcH008.png

You are being a little disingenuous with your wording. Those maps you posted aren't snow and freezing rain probabilities but rather snow and freezing rain probabilities of a certain depth. If you are going to post, spend a little more time determining how to articulate your posts so that they are accurate and contain meaningfull impact. You obviously have knowledge that can benefit us who read this forum, I would simply recommend you spend a little bit of time reviewing drafts before pressing "post". Having typed that, I appreciate your contribution to this forum.

The problem is, the initial wave of precip is pretty light -- it will cause big travel problems in NC in particular because it doesn't take much at 20-25 degrees to cause problems, but as it stands now, most of what falls will come down after the wedge is scoured out, unless you believe the Canadian. 0z GFS track looks like a ski-lift -- right over the mountaintops of the Appalachians.

Guys you need to keep in mind how bad the gfs with cad events. I don't have facts or an article but I'm pretty sure I've heard the gfs is one o the worst models dealing with a CAD and low track. In this case automatically give higher res models a little more credit than the broader op models. Rgem is the master of cad it knows what's up this isn't going to be a storm where the gfs can be followed much

It was close to the 12z run but the 2nd wave that digs on the backside of the trough does not dig as much on this run. So instead of a weak low in southern Alabama you get one in northern Alabama. Its still far away from the euro run, that has a phased bomb!

I thought the Euro was North and warm, did I miss something?

CMC is ridiculous, there's a reason it's the worst scoring model. The lights would be turned off in the piedmont indefinitely down to GSP to NE GA, all frozen it looks like. Miller A track across souther gulf states.

Cmc does remarkably well with cad setups. And the rgem proves this thing could still be under modeled shoot... The rgem has a wedge building all the way to 850mb layer that's a 5k+ thick wedge. Which historically we normally see big icing with a wedge like that.

This is true arctic air to get us close if not down Into single digits. I'm telling you guys cmc and nam still under doing the cad strength or at least it's staying power. Tell me how can a terribly weak lp just boot a wedge like that outta here when a monster lp a few weeks ago couldn't get a wedge cleared out of NC and that wedge wasn't even a super strong one

Cmc does remarkably well with cad setups. And the rgem proves this thing could still be under modeled shoot... The rgem has a wedge building all the way to 850mb layer that's a 5k+ thick wedge. Which historically we normally see big icing with a wedge like that.

This is true arctic air to get us close if not down Into single digits. I'm telling you guys cmc and nam still under doing the cad strength or at least it's staying power. Tell me how can a terribly weak lp just boot a wedge like that outta here when a monster lp a few weeks ago couldn't get a wedge cleared out of NC and that wedge wasn't even a super strong one

This has been my thinking the whole time! I've been saying that strong a CAD has no choice but to keep a weak LP on a southern track! That cold means Business and it also means a Sig ICESTORM for CAD areas!

We'll find out about ukie in a minute. Getting inside 72 now so the biggest trends to keep tab on are short range. I've seen euro on its own and be right, but usually by now it's got something in its corner when that has happened. It's the best out there but its not without sin at times. Course the one time we need it to be off I'll be shocked with or bad luck this is that time. Atleast it'll be intriguing in the model war arena. But most 9f us are on here because we long for the winter weather not to see who can nail the forecast right

Archived