Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My preliminary/first conservative call. Not ready to beef any of these areas up until we get a better understanding of the thermal profile duration.

1-3" snow/sleet for southern/central CAD zones (north-east GA to Hickory NC)

2-4"+ snow/sleet for mountains/northern CAD (Surry County, Rural Hall)

3-6"+ snow/sleet for mountains on the TN/NC line and other higher peaks (Beech Mountain)

Freezing rain

Tenth of an inch possible all the way down to Charlotte...some SC counties

Quarter of an inch possible Piedmont Triad west

Cold Rain

Possibly everyone sees at least some with less closer to the MTNS

00z French Fries looks close to the GFS. Much more amped compared to past runs. Still looks cold in the damming regions, though.

The NAVGEM shifted further south. Close to the Canadian, though maybe not that far. It's warmer than the Canadian, though I think the NAVGEM is well-known to be horrendous at thermals.

The Euro is slightly better on the front end. Maybe an inch or two combined of snow and sleet (cold temps, too, well into the 20s) before we rain and the temperature skyrockets into the low 50s (doubt we'd actually get that warm, though). It would be the biggest pure snow storm of the year here, so all-in, I guess.

I'm hugging the GGEM until my arms fall off.

Maybe the 06z NAM will save winter here in a few minutes.

So what is everyone going to do when they are sitting in their cars charging their cell phones to speak with each other on the forum?  I'll tell you now, fill up your gas tanks in the CAD areas!

I say this because, the SREF plumes keep backing away and coming back for ZR in my area.  I am well South of the majority of this forum and short range modeling still wants to get me in the game.  The global models we usually rely on are having major energy and speed changes at HGT/500, and we are supposed to believe they have it figured out?  The huge run -to -run changes on the Euro vs Para Euro vs GFS are a huge indicator they have no idea what wave to focus on, what part to focus on, nor the speed or phase potential.  The UKMET is literally phasing half the time, going flat half the time, who knows.

This is one of those events where the short range models are being more consistent.  If it weren't true, I wouldn't have ice in my forecast way down here right now or FFC would not be putting briefings out saying we are within the (0-84 hr) higher resolution frame.

I personally believe that the RGEM, GGEM, NAM have a better handle on the cold (especially for you guys to the North of CAE).  Many models have the interaction/coastal look off the ATL coast that could absolutely wreck our forecast down here in CAE if it happens.  

Something is off on this storm's depiction on modeling. It's like one of those weird feelings.  

So what is everyone going to do when they are sitting in their cars charging their cell phones to speak with each other on the forum?  I'll tell you now, fill up your gas tanks in the CAD areas!

I say this because, the SREF plumes keep backing away and coming back for ZR in my area.  I am well South of the majority of this forum and short range modeling still wants to get me in the game.  The global models we usually rely on are having major energy and speed changes at HGT/500, and we are supposed to believe they have it figured out?  The huge run -to -run changes on the Euro vs Para Euro vs GFS are a huge indicator they have no idea what wave to focus on, what part to focus on, nor the speed or phase potential.  The UKMET is literally phasing half the time, going flat half the time, who knows.

This is one of those events where the short range models are being more consistent.  If it weren't true, I wouldn't have ice in my forecast way down here right now or FFC would not be putting briefings out saying we are within the (0-84 hr) higher resolution frame.

I personally believe that the RGEM, GGEM, NAM have a better handle on the cold (especially for you guys to the North of CAE).  Many models have the interaction/coastal look off the ATL coast that could absolutely wreck our forecast down here in CAE if it happens.  

Something is off on this storm's depiction on modeling. It's like one of those weird feelings.  

There is no way the NAM / Higher Res is this consistent without having something to it:

nam4km_ref_frzn_seus_17.png

I'm telling you, that wedge is stronger and precip is going to be earlier.

So whats your thinking around Hickory just north of I-40 west towards Morganton NC?

So whats your thinking around Hickory just north of I-40 west towards Morganton NC?

I think anyone in those areas are way higher chance than down my way.  Some modeling is bringing the low track up the spine and your way, but I don't trust that. It's hard for me to give a forecast in the mountains.  Not my expertise.

They guys at CAE WFO are saying this:

THE SURFACE RIDGE WILL EXTEND THROUGH THE FORECAST AREA SUNDAY.  
MODEL TIME-HEIGHT DISPLAYS INDICATE HIGH CLOUDINESS AHEAD OF THE  
UPPER TROUGH TO THE WEST. MOISTURE WILL INCREASE SUNDAY NIGHT AS  
THE RIDGE SHIFTS OFF THE COAST AND A WARM FRONT DEVELOPS SOUTH OF  
THE FORECAST AREA. ISENTROPIC LIFT MAY LEAD TO PRECIPITATION LATE  
ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTHWEST PART CLOSER TO DEEPER MOISTURE AHEAD  
OF THE UPPER TROUGH
. USED THE GUIDANCE CONSENSUS FOR THE POP  
FORECAST. USING THE TOP-DOWN METHOD WITH THE NAM AND GFS INDICATE  
FREEZING RAIN IN CENTRAL AND NORTH SECTIONS. THE MODELS HAVE  
LIGHT PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS.
WARMING WILL OCCUR MONDAY AHEAD OF  
APPROACHING LOW PRESSURE. THE MODELS INDICATE THIS WILL OCCUR IN  
THE MORNING ALTHOUGH IT IS POSSIBLE THE COLD AIR WILL LINGER  
LONGER THAN FORECAST IN THE WEDGE PATTERN.
THE MODELS ARE  
CONSISTENT INDICATING LIGHT PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS WITH THE DEEPEST  
MOISTURE WEST AND NORTH OF THE AREA MONDAY. THE MODELS INDICATE  
QPF LESS THAN ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH.
USED THE GUIDANCE CONSENSUS  
FOR THE TEMPERATURE FORECAST EXCEPT USED THE LOWER GUIDANCE MONDAY  
BECAUSE OF THE WEDGE PATTERN.  

Basically, if they are saying that this far South, watch out to the North.

The 06z GFS is flatter. No Apps Runner. Weaker and further south.

Well James, I hope there is someone saving images from the last couple of days.  Because if the further South/GGEM solution becomes verification, nobody will ever believe it won vs the Euro/Para/GFS.

The 06z GFS is flatter. No Apps Runner. Weaker and further south.

Thank you very much for the update(s) Superjames! VERY appreciated! It appears that MOST of the models now are showing the moisture arriving while we still have the high, either still feeding in, or in place. This may be an ALMOST entire duration wintry event for those further north around I-40 and so on. I am in Belmont, NC (a few miles from CLT International Airport) so it may erode quicker for my area. I am curious to see how much snow/sleet we can receive though, before changing over. I know the hype is there for this to be ALL ZR, but from living here in a CAD PRONE area, knowing the temps are always UNDERFORECASTED as well as the west to east over-running, I am very confident this system will be a lot more wintry than what is being shown by the models.This is a fun one!! 

I just don't think there will be that much rain in the mtns.  Bet the precip. is frozen just about the whole event, still think this storm is headed further south and east of the area, too much cold air to overcome and now the high pressure looks to be still on shore at the onset of the precip, not as quick to leave.

wow, quiet on here for a winter storm on the horizon.  :sled:

A handful of folks bought into the "Game over" mentality when Euro and Ukie leaned to the Apps runner solution. With the last GFS trending to the south, betcha the place will be jumping later today.

BTW, a quick question for those here: Our meager Central NC event yesterday was best predicted by high-res (tip of the hat to the NAM for the precip amounts) but the approaching storm is far stronger. I've always felt the globals had a better handle on these more macro-type events. So ... should we put more credence in recent performance or traditional conventional wisdom? 

It's makes a big difference down here to the south of this storm. It's a call between early, nuisance ice and something more worrisome.

Many thanks! 

looking at the 6z NAM it would keep the CAD in place for the entire storm from RDU westward, south west through the up-state (maybe into upper midlands), and into extreme NE Ga. Remember you can still be in the CAD but above freezing. For RDU it looks to go above freezing at hour 72. There would have been ~ .40 of precip. (with main band about to pass) Over towards Greensboro looks to get > 1.00 with temps at or below freezing. Out to hour 60 looks like the critical time for the best accrual of ice through west, central, and N. NC(hour 57 in up-state, NE Ga). Temps would be in the 20s for most. From RDU westward in north central NC would have .40 or greater.

So in short, RDU looks to get .40 or so of frozen and freezing. Western areas will depend on how close they get to freezing to see how much more they can get.   

In case no one has seen or heard 6Z GFS went away from a apps cutter. Way south.

this makes more sense to me with the dense cold air in place, I think it will send the storm more south and east, think most models are showing this right now but I guess still to early to call but the GFS is coming around to the more south track so maybe the Euro will start showing this as well later today, I hope so more folks get in on the frozen precip.

Archived