Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

I don't think Global models can handle CAD as good as meso models.... JMO

NAM and RGEM blend here on out.....

Euro can't handle this kind of setup either.

GFS/Euro will be late to the party with this unusually set up..... Gotta go with short range or die. lol

Yea I wouldn't be surprised if the Globals tomorrow doesn't start coming around to these short range models.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how the poster above can claim the ukie runs the apps off the 72 hr panel. Next panel is 96 so it could just ss easily go east maybe se a notch through upstate and off to carolina coast or coastal plain before heading ne. Impossible to tell. However it is futher north up in northern AL than its 12z run and a little more amped. Alot more up and downs over next 36 hrs on models enjoy

Living in the heart of the CAD my whole life expertise...I would lean heavy on a GFS/UKMET blend but yes of course believe the freezing temps stick around a little longer than shown and a slightly colder by a hair. I'm against the CMC 100% with high confidence.

So you gonna just toss the CMC that's been Rock solid on this for 4 days now over the GFS that has been all over the place because it can't handle these CAD setups?

So you gonna just toss the CMC that's been Rock solid on this for 4 days now over the GFS that has been all over the place because it can't handle these CAD setups?

Yes...tossing the CMC has worked out really well over the years esp. CAD regions going up into the Blue Ridge. 

Far from rock solid for 4days when it was and maybe still is (I'm not even monitoring it) with having 20-25" of snow in the MTNS.

GFS/UKMET blend is not a perfect handle...but if you add human input with the freezing lasting a little longer than modeled and a hair colder IT IS handling it over the CMC by night and day.

Surprised at some of the comments on here. I sure as heck wouldn't go with the CMC over a GFS/UKMet blend, with Euro likely joining that group...but I would prefer to be wrong with that and encased in ice

You have the RGEM/CMC/ARPEGE in the further south camp along with the NAVGEM. The 4km NAM also indicates this solution and 18z parallel GFS is weak with the low and through central GA. It's becoming obvious we have two camps; one is an apps runner and the other a central GA through southern SC around the southern edge of the CAD.

Not sure how the poster above can claim the ukie runs the apps off the 72 hr panel. Next panel is 96 so it could just ss easily go east maybe se a notch through upstate and off to carolina coast or coastal plain before heading ne. Impossible to tell. However it is futher north up in northern AL than its 12z run and a little more amped. Alot more up and downs over next 36 hrs on models enjoy

At 96, UKMet is in the heart of NY State

We are still good for another 36 hours before I would ever take the usual EURO/NAM blend for the CAD regions. That's when I would ease some grip of the gfs/ukmet blend. I give the CMC a lot of crap but I may have used it ONCE or twice only with a 1day lead time or less tho. 

now: gfs/ukmet

Sunday: euro/nam

Sunday Night/Monday: cmc with caution/short range guidance

We are still good for another 36 hours before I would ever take the usual EURO/NAM blend for the CAD regions. That's when I would ease some grip of the gfs/ukmet blend. I give the CMC a lot of crap but I may have used it ONCE or twice only with a 1day lead time or less tho.

now: gfs/ukmet

Sunday: euro/nam

Sunday Night/Monday: cmc with caution/short range guidance

So we use a longer range cmc model during the storm. Got it

You have the RGEM/CMC/ARPEGE in the further south camp along with the NAVGEM. The 4km NAM also indicates this solution and 18z parallel GFS is weak with the low and through central GA. It's becoming obvious we have two camps; one is an apps runner and the other a central GA through southern SC around the southern edge of the CAD.

I think we have to separate two aspects here. One is the handling of the 5h wave, and the second is the handling of the high resolution damming signature. If the wave is too amped and/or too far north, it's going to put a great deal of pressure on the damming (sfc and 850 low too far NW). If the wave is farther south and not too amped, then yes, the damming can have a great deal of influence on the track of the sfc low, keeping it well south and colder

I think we have to separate two aspects here. One is the handling of the 5h wave, and the second is the handling of the high resolution damming signature. If the wave is too amped and/or too far north, it's going to put a great deal of pressure on the damming (sfc and 850 low too far NW). If the wave is farther south and not too amped, then yes, the damming can have a great deal of influence on the track of the sfc low, keeping it well south and colder

Agreed but it seems that those models which are typically amped, especially the NAM and RGEM at extended ranges, are quite weak and strung out with the LP. The ARPEGE is similar based on the rough maps I could see and this tells me, from what I've seen the past few systems, that the further south track of the LP is more likely. Euro has been bad with surface low tracks and qpf past few systems here and NAM/RGEM have been an excellent combo. Wouldn't bet against the NAM/RGEM/ARPEGE trio at this range with the low track through central or southern GA.

Correct. It's common since it goes from really bad to closer to reality when closer to the storm 99% of the time. 

Also I would like to add the freezing rain hatch warning criteria was issued based on the GFS from mets at the WPC.

I would say most models go from bad to good as we get closer to the event... Also when inside 72 hours you want to start looking more at the high res models like RGEM, NAM, ARPEGE instead of Globals as they pick up things much better. The only models which did well with today's snow for Eastern and Central NC were the HRRR, NAM and RGEM all of which happen to be high res models. Euro was terrible until inside 24 hours when it finally caught on. GFS was everywhere with qpf and low track as was CMC. We are in range where high res models need to be given more weight imo.

Yea I wouldn't be surprised if the Globals tomorrow doesn't start coming around to these short range models.

Eh...that's not usually how it works with these types of setups. Most of the time globals NEVER fully come around to the short range models...not even 1hour out...that's why the professionals at the WPC are ADDING to the GFS solution already.

I call EURO king most of the time because usually it will be the one global that does tend to come around with the NAM...cue the EE rule. When we get to that point history suggests to favor a slightly colder (nothing CMC like) EURO/NAM thermal profile east of the mountains while blending in aspects from the UKMET/GFS.

Archived