joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's a consensus among the short range models that the upstate will be in the upper 20's Monday morning with dewpoints in the low 20's, and light precip has already fallen. (.05 to .10  inch)

The models have as warming to freezing by around 1pm Monday afternoon. with sporadic light precip falling throughout the day under heavy cloud cover.

This forecast is getting really simple....

If we can get a consistent batch of precip in here before lunch time, we will be in for an epic ice storm that would only flip to rain through latent heat release after everyone's power has been knocked out.

If we don't get much or any precip until late Monday afternoon, I believe it would be possible for us to wind up with a 32/33 rain scenario when the wave of heavy precip comes through.

So basically, the key is getting precip in as early as possible to lock in the wedge. If that happens, it's lights out.

I believe we will see the models start trending towards more expansive precip over the upstate during the day. Isentropic uplift should be good. And, IMO, models are showing too tight of a gradient to our west. I highly doubt a 3 county strip back in alabama gets heavy rain from a stationary band for 6 hours like the GFS/NAM seem to show. Especially considering how weak the kicker wave is dropping into the trough. 

It's also interesting to note that the 4km NAM is actually dropping temperature back below freezing across the upstate at hour 60. (7pm Monday).  

Verbatim, it's showing the last bit of wetbulbing we have left droping us below freezing when the heavy precip returns late monday evening. Interesting... (we still have 60 hours for this to trend colder or warmer)

I'll also note that with the epic sleet storm last year, the 4km NAM showed me at 33 and rain for that entire event up until the day of the event, at which point I bottom out at 27 with heavy sleet all evening. (That arctic air mass was very cold and dry like this one is)

GFS para looks like a nice front end hit, especially in the foothills and NW piedmont.

I live just west of you in Burke County was talking with Brad and he said he expects at least .25+ of ICE around here along with his first call maps for Snow(2-6) from yesterday. So it does look like we will meet winter storm warning criteria along I-40 from what he has said. He did say he was going to reduce snow totals for the mountains because of mixing.

If you love winter weather then ice is part of it. How often do we lose power? Once every 10-20 years? I lost it for 8 days during both big ice events in the 90's. I would prefer sleet and snow but if it's an ice storm oh well. It's winter weather like we all say we love.

Agreed. Also, at least this wouldn't be a situation where the ice will hang around for days, preventing people from getting out to clean up fallen limbs, trees, etc and having to deal with extremely low temps for days afterwards. By tuesday everything would be melted and cleanup can quickly begin. 

Agreed. Also, at least this wouldn't be a situation where the ice will hang around for days, preventing people from getting out to clean up fallen limbs, trees, etc and having to deal with extremely low temps for days afterwards. By tuesday everything would be melted and cleanup can quickly begin.

Some great pictures for sure.

The RGEM shows not only a nice front end hit for all of NC but it also at hour 54 keeps the HP in a good spot for CAD whereas other models already have it way offshore. If the HP stays put longer like the RGEM indicates and precip locks in the wedge like it shows early on then it will be bad. The ARPEGE at hour 54 is nearly identical.

RGEM precip type hour 54

post-2321-0-65218600-1455375934_thumb.gi

RGEM surface temps. Light blue is 23-32F for surface temps and the darker blue is 14-23F.

post-2321-0-35706500-1455375965_thumb.gi

And here is the 06z ARPEGE for reference. Shows HP in a good position still, not as good as RGEM but not offshore like NAM and other models show.

post-2321-0-48460600-1455376125_thumb.gi

Seems like less precip , while cold, and not as cold as models were showing a few days ago, is the theme! Today we are seeing the models kick out temps in upper 20s with dp's in the 20s!??

What happened to the 20's/single digit DPs? Air not as cold as thought, less precip, or heaviest falling Monday evening, high booking out faster, equals failed winter storm, for my area atleast and probably , alot more areas

The RGEM shows not only a nice front end hit for all of NC but it also at hour 54 keeps the HP in a good spot for CAD whereas other models already have it way offshore. If the HP stays put longer like the RGEM indicates and precip locks in the wedge like it shows early on then it will be bad. The ARPEGE at hour 54 is nearly identical.

That does show much colder heights than the other models....could be the start of a trend holding the high in place longer....one would think that would lead to a weaker more strung out event moving more east than a low popping and cutting, which would be better for everyone seems like Jan 2-3 2002 or one of those storms was sorta like this I gotta go look it up....crazy how much the models change and disagree even in the time frame we are in....

nope not really Jan 2002 but I remember one that I thought was early in Jan that was sorta a statewide lighter event that was mostly overrunning...

I really appreciate the substantive posts in this thread, those accompanied with maps or actual weather discussion.

The "My gut tells me..." and "I'm pretty sure that..." and "It looks like..." type of posts with no actual reasons to back them up simply clutter up this thread.  Take it to banter and the cliff-driving thread, please.  There you can whine, complain, prognosticate, lament, etc. to your heart's content.  Why do we have to ask this every time around?

I don't know. Seems to me like a lot of us are just grasping at straws here. Due to the high pressure sliding off the coast at time warped speed, I just don't see this system being much more than a cold rain unless you live in the mountains.

Bingo. Cmc has its own biases perfect for weenies. With the HP sliding out so fast I doubt we trend to an all snow solution, even in CAD areas. The snow at onset should be fun, though. Glass half full?

At this range I prefer a blend of the ARPEGE and the RGEM. From my experience this year the RGEM has been king in the short range inside 48 hours. Picking up on trends, CAD, transition zones, etc long before any other model. It has done well with qpf and the focus of the best precip. The fact that it has the LP further south at hour 48 (it can sometimes have an amped bias hours 36-48) and holds the HP in longer up over the NE is a big deal. I would expect other models to begin trending towards this solution later today and tomorrow as they catch on.

Archived