joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the ARPEGE (why are we doing this?) verified, Upstate SC gets absolutely rocked.  I'm willing to bet it's a historic sleet/ice up that way.  Very heavy "frozen" precipitation.  It's cold enough to get CAE proper in the game for a big chunk of the event.

With that said, I don't trust it.  The closest I have followed it was with the last storm, and it's precipitation shield was too far West.  Can not remember how it did with temps, but there was no CAD to compare it to anyways.

If the ARPEGE (why are we doing this?) verified, Upstate SC gets absolutely rocked. I'm willing to bet it's a historic Sleet/Ice up that way. Very heavy "frozen" precipitation. It's cold enough to get CAE proper in the game for a big chunk of the event.

It has its friends including the NAM and Canadian so I wouldn't toss it.

If the ARPEGE (why are we doing this?) verified, Upstate SC gets absolutely rocked.  I'm willing to bet it's a historic sleet/ice up that way.  Very heavy "frozen" precipitation.  It's cold enough to get CAE proper in the game for a big chunk of the event.

With that said, I don't trust it.  The closest I have followed it was with the last storm, and it's precipitation shield was too far West.

you know why you are doing it. You are a snow weenie like the rest of us. 

Viva la france

With that said, I don't trust it.  The closest I have followed it was with the last storm, and it's precipitation shield was too far West.  Can not remember how it did with temps, but there was no CAD to compare it to anyways.

it was off 50 miles with the precip but it locked in and stayed there several days out on the track main 5H players. Tell you I was impressed. Interested to see how it grades out on this one with the big picture stuff not so much micro climate features. 

What in the world is the Arpege model? A uk model upgrade?

It is a model Lookout showed to us a while back.  It's ran by the French, and has the name of a French perfume (not kidding).

In very little research, I discovered that it is interconnected with ECMWF data assimilation, parameters and has been in use since 1993 (or even before).  After they joined forces (shared data) with ECMWF, the forecast skill increased exponentially in their region.

Basically, it's new for us to be using and we are not quite sure how well it performs.  I think this CAD situation is a great test to see how it handles the bigger picture instead of just precipitation location.

I should note, that Ryan Maue has the European zones from the model on his website.  I asked him about USA, and he might get around to it.  Data is hit or miss or something like that.  Also, it handled the Wintry precipitation today okay.

I like the looks of the overrunning setup the NAM has been advertising in recent runs.. 

Interesting to note is the interaction with the Atlantic.  Literally pulling moisture into the Southern SC zones.  That could bust a forecast quickly if that occurs.  You can see it well on the 12KM.  

That looks like a weird trajectory, but NAM has consistantly shown it. Is precip moving due East or SE from the plains?

That has a classic look to it. Some of our better storms have that sort of tongue of moisture that develops well out and to the east of the main storm. Helps to lock in the cold (as others have said). IMO we have to have that or else we are hosed.

Archived