joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the canadian still doesn't have surface temps responding at all after precip starts despite the low dewpoints/wetbulbs.  By 12z, temps are in the mid 20s over the carolinas to upper 20s in northeast ga with dewpoints only slightly rising  from the single digits at 06z to only the mid teens by 12z...which gives wetbulbs generally in the range of the low 20s in the upstate to mid to upper 20s in northeast ga. So anything it shows during the day is likely quite a bit too warm...especially since the low track is even further south/better.

On some occasions you don't see a massive drop in surface temps when precip starts if the cold layer is very shallow (been burned by that before ) but as you can see here that through 12z it extends all the way to 925mb initially before retreating a bit by 18z. canadian looks like it has precip arriving mid morning. .Before nam warms up 950mb temps, it has even colder temps at that level. So I expect a decent temp drop after precip arrives.

925mbtempma.png925mbtempma.png

Man that is a stout wedge! Models tend to under estimate the strength of the actual wedge (as depicted above) also and move it out too fast. Somebody (me) gonna get a nasty ice storm

NAVGEM usually doesn't do temps very well but it's showing a nice wedge still through Tuesday morning.  Great trends today from CLT to GSO and points west, assuming you want a bad ice storm with some front end snow.

Thanks, Pack.  Wouldn't take much to move the needle on temps east of those areas.

You could argue that the Euro made some baby steps, but it's still a terrible result. Strong LP right up I-85.

I would say the Euro can be overamped at times, so maybe we should consider that. Regardless, the Euro is on an island by itself, so while it certainly throws caution into the wind, I'm not sure you can take it over every single other model out there right now.

My question would be whether the Euro's bias of holding energy back could be applicable here (or is that even a thing anymore?)?

Euro is not going to bust inside 84 hours. It's not going to shift from a apps runner to something running up 95 or the coast. Get your umbrellas ready.

While it is the best model in the world, and very well could be right, its run to run consistency over the last 4-5 runs does not exactly inspire confidence. It very well could move further south tonight. Wait and see mode for me.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

But now the Euro is pretty consistent 3 runs in a row. When that happens, especially at this shorter range it is very hard to bet against it.

Consistently bad, yes, but I'm not sure it's really been consistent as a whole. Yesterday's 12z run had the LP blazing through northern West Virginia en route to Rochester, NY and eventually central Quebec.

Consistently bad, yes, but I'm not sure it's really been consistent as a whole. Yesterday's 12z run had the LP blazing through northern West Virginia.

Thats true the EURO has fluctuated pretty wildly the past 3 days..still hard to bet against at this range, lets see what the EPS shows

Some people think there's only ONE model and it can't be wrong. It will be proved wrong on this one is bet. Also still plenty of time wouldn't be surprised if Euro doesn't start lining up with others by Monday.

11th weather forecasting commandment--is never bet against the euro and its ensembles when ukmet alignment is there.

Consistently bad, yes, but I'm not sure it's really been consistent as a whole. Yesterday's 12z run had the LP blazing through northern West Virginia en route to Rochester, NY and eventually central Quebec.

Agree. It broke the low in half and had it shooting up the apps. LMAO

Even frank of accuwx took a shot at it and called it wrong yesterday. 

Archived