• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

Just looking at the 6z NAM and it would keep dew points in the 20s from just east of Raleigh westward(through hour 84). At that time there's a swipe of near .5 liquid that has fallen through central NC. That would be winter storm criteria. I know it's the NAM at 84 hours but it does show another solution that the other models have shown at one point or the other. I would say the 6z GFS going north was hit in the gut. We have to place it above what the NAM is showing, but hopefully we see it shift back at 12z. We'll at least be able to see if the NAM stays with the colder solution in about 30 minutes or so. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get early onset precp with those Low dew points, it will cool even more and the Precip will lock the cold in. We do not need a perfect HP to hold in the cold.

That's what Matthew East said, too.

Matthew East @eastwx 1h1 hour ago

The key for Mon, if you want wintry precip, is to get heavier precip in quicker, locking in-situ wedge in place

If we get early onset precp with those Low dew points, it will cool even more and the Precip will lock the cold in. We do not need a perfect HP to hold in the cold.

Just watched Mathew East video and he thinks the Canadian Model may have the best handle on this storm by locking in the cold air when precip starts, thinks a lot of folks will be with frozen precip. longer and it shows the mtns. staying frozen the whole event.  He thinks the Euro and the GFS models are not picking up on the cold wedge and that the low will go around it central ga. toward eastern nc exactly as the WPC has it.  Let's hope so 

So right now we want the WPC and the Canadian Model solution of which Mathew is leaning toward saying they are picking up on the wedge of cold air in place and will move the storm more south and east.

It looks like there is a pretty good consensus that the high is either out or on its way out before the bulk of the system moves in.  There is not a great consensus on the track of the storm or the timing of when the precip moves in.  The magnitude of this air mass in terms of it being cold and dry is impressive -- not your ordinary weak wedge.  Therefore, we have a greater than normal opportunity for a good hit of front end snow and ice before any changeover occurs, IF we can see precip fall quickly enough.

So what we are left with here, since the high is going to be gone, is needing the precip to get in here as early as possible and lock in the wedge.  IF that happens, then we would most likely see the track and/or the redevelopment of the system occur farther south and east than shown.  That's what you want to see, if you are wanting a higher impact winter storm.  If we don't see the precip move in before the high moves well offshore, well, then outside of a few spots, it'll be just another ho hum advisory (maybe) to rain thing.

The magnitude of this air mass makes this scenario possible.  That's the only reason this is even worth talking about outside of the mountains.

wonder what Roberts thoughts are with this storm moving more south since the cold air is so stout even though the high is moving out.  I think precip. suppose to start late sunday night isn't it?  wish it would come in a little sooner and remember the last couple of storms have moved in about 6 hours earlier than was modeled.

He had a great write up yesterday, before the 12z runs. Don't think he's posted since then

(Don't usually post in the main threads, but wanted to say that my coworkers glommed onto that writeup and started freaking out ... well after the 12z runs. I had multiple people (who are not usually weather obsessed) link it to me yesterday afternoon, so I think it went a little FB-viral in this part of town.)

NAM definitely holds in the cold air longer.  The HP is a little stronger.  Big difference with the 2-m.  At least 2-3 degrees colder at the surface for most of NC and upper SC at hr 78 when compared to the 6z at 84.  Keeps NC in the 20s.  Goes to 32 in the Triad by hour 84 when the main low sweeps through.

Cold air damming regions. Area just east of the apps to roughly I-77 and NW.

CAD regions are very subjective to the strength of the CAD. Most consider all the Piedmont regions of NC, the up-state of SC, and NE Ga as the "normal" CAD regions. Of course CAD can encompass almost all of NC, half of SC, most of central / northern Ga, into NE central Alabama. 

Here's a typical setup:

post-940-0-85980500-1455289964_thumb.png

Archived