• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

If this winds up being a weaker wave that tracks up I-95. Credit will have to be given to the Canadian. It's the only model that hasn't flopped around like a fish out of water over the last 3 days.

Also, if we get a Canadian type low track. I'm starting to think the ice-storm will be devastating for the upstate. It's not cold enough at 925mb for sleet, but the canadian only warms 850's up to the +2 range when the heaviest band moves through.

Considering how cold we start, I would be surprised if we have warmed up above 30 or 31 degree's by the time the back edge of precip gets here.

Also if that solution verifies, I wouldn't be afraid to say the upstate stays frozen for whole duration of the storm without a changeover to Rain!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CMC has really been decent this winter and I have actually been using it more than I can remember as of late. Anyway here is the qpf for freezing rain. That would be ugly to say the least. If we do get a decent thump of snow from the initial warm advection wave then that will slow the erosion of CAD.

post-962-0-63611700-1455296800_thumb.png

Well, we know we are on track to see Wintry.  The 12z JMA is so slow with the low, that the high is off the screen by the time it is coming across LA.

- I hope that model verifies well elsewhere, because it's a joke for the usa.

Everybody knows the JMA has poor eye site.  :nerdsmiley:

Looks like the French model is a little sharper with the wave on the 12z run.  Breaks down the wedge a little quicker this run, but has some precip still in the cold wedge....probably more like the GFS.  Hard to tell the sfc low track with the crude maps

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpegee_cartes.php?ech=27&code=0&mode=0&carte=2

If this winds up being a weaker wave that tracks up I-95. Credit will have to be given to the Canadian. It's the only model that hasn't flopped around like a fish out of water over the last 3 days.

Also, if we get a Canadian type low track. I'm starting to think the ice-storm will be devastating for the upstate. It's not cold enough at 925mb for sleet, but the canadian only warms 850's up to the +2 range when the heaviest band moves through.

Considering how cold we start, I would be surprised if we have warmed up above 30 or 31 degree's by the time the back edge of precip gets here.

I'm along those same lines of thinking Burrel! I'm thinking the front end will drop an inch or two of snow for the upstate I-85 and north.

That being Wahalla, Clemson, Central, Easley, Greenville, Taylors, Greer, Spartanburg, Gaffney and north.

Then I expect a long duration of ice. Could be devastating.

Looks like the French model is a little sharper with the wave on the 12z run. Breaks down the wedge a little quicker this run, but has some precip still in the cold wedge....probably more like the GFS. Hard to tell the sfc low track with the crude maps

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpegee_cartes.php?ech=27&code=0&mode=0&carte=2

Yeah, looks to show a major storm for the CAD regions still. Good to see. The LP looks weak, which is what we want to see. All models are onboard now except the Euro, I think, and the Euro may jump onboard in a half hour.

I'm along those same lines of thinking Burrel! I'm thinking the front end will drop an inch or two of snow for the upstate I-85 and north.

That being Wahalla, Clemson, Central, Easley, Greenville, Taylors, Greer, Spartanburg, Gaffney and north.

Then I expect a long duration of ice. Could be devastating.

Agreed...front end snow then a sig. ice storm.  Are we expecting strong winds as this moves out?  

Like many are saying, with the CMC track, I am not buying the fast erosion of the CAD in this situation.  While it may be too warm for CAE proper, the Northern Midlands are well in the game as modeling is moving the high out too quickly.  Also, the high is modeled at around 1032mb over the NE, and again there are ensemble members with 1035+.  Some have 1040+.  If the 1040+ verified, people are in trouble.

Throughout the year, I constantly read in my forecast discussions "adjusted max temps due to wedge conditions persisting" type talk.  this is no different.

the canadian still doesn't have surface temps responding at all after precip starts despite the low dewpoints/wetbulbs.  By 12z, temps are in the mid 20s over the carolinas to upper 20s in northeast ga with dewpoints only slightly rising  from the single digits at 06z to only the mid teens by 12z...which gives wetbulbs generally in the range of the low 20s in the upstate to mid to upper 20s in northeast ga. So anything it shows during the day is likely quite a bit too warm...especially since the low track is even further south/better.

On some occasions you don't see a massive drop in surface temps when precip starts if the cold layer is very shallow (been burned by that before ) but as you can see here that through 12z it extends all the way to 925mb initially before retreating a bit by 18z. canadian looks like it has precip arriving mid morning. .Before nam warms up 950mb temps, it has even colder temps at that level. So I expect a decent temp drop after precip arrives.

925mbtempma.png925mbtempma.png

Archived