Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Model Mezzanine, the 2nd installment

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40 miles east and we are golden

The biggest problem with this system is that there is a very narrow area where this can go and give a big snow event...like 80-90% of the tracks that give us precip would probably have a lot of rain in them.

The synoptic setup is so poor for holding in the cold. Even a high sliding E in Nova Scotia would be a lot better than this.

This is like the third storm referenced to '78, only one was a monster, but 100 miles east. Maybe we can get one to finally materialize

The only time we had something that even mildly resembled '78 was the last storm we are just finishing with (over 3 days) when the GFS had a couple of runs that nearly pulled a full PV lobe phase...and even in that setup, the winds wouldn't have been the same. Of course the full phase never happened.

975 off Cape will snow backside this cuts across the cape. GFS too warm at the surface shift the snow axis south

Steve, look at how branched that high is on the UK.

The only time we had something that even mildly resembled '78 was the last storm we are just finishing with (over 3 days) when the GFS had a couple of runs that nearly pulled a full PV lobe phase...and even in that setup, the winds wouldn't have been the same. Of course the full phase never happened.

Well, its kind of an expression, at least for me.

I often don't mean it literally, but I think we could agree that this would be pretty ferocious if that high were over Quebec.

975 off Cape will snow backside this cuts across the cape. GFS too warm at the surface shift the snow axis south

That high branches much more on some of these solutions, subsequent runs are to see some shifting.

There are small compensations happening in the modeling that are moving away from the full torching cutter solution. Obviously I would love to lean towards bringing a bombing storm under SNE and up into GOM.  

Will it rain? Probably but some could get a plastering dump before that happens and i would take a thumping snow to rain storm. 

This reminds me of an event in January of '94, when we started out with absolute bitter cold, down near zero.....and by the end of the storm, it was like 55 with bare ground.

I mentioned today that although some people will mention 1/17/94 and I think 1/3/99 that this setup does not have nearly the room to go as far west and that the high positioning although not great is slightly better than those 2.

I mentioned today that although some people will mention 1/17/94 and I think 1/3/99 that this setup does not have nearly the room to go as far west and that the high positioning although not great is slightly better than those 2.

Well, yea....harkens back to what I have been mentioning regarding the high "branching"....I do not expect to get as warm as those aforementioned scenarios, but the remarkable thermo recovery is what conjured the memories.

I think this trends colder, if anything...watch that high POS.

Well, yea....harkens back to what I have been mentioning regarding the high "branching"....I do not expect to get as warm as those aforementioned scenarios, but the remarkable thermo recovery is what conjured the memories.

I think this trends colder, if anything...watch that high POS.

Even if the high stays in a poor position, we could end up with some in-situ type CAD. You dump precip into a cold/dry air mass and you'll wet bulb down into a tough to displace dome of CAD. Without the high, it eventually erodes, but it will take longer than the models say.

Archived