SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2016 Banter

JoshM

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy i hate to be the bearer of bad news but people getting excited over pattern that supports cold and dry... the trend this year is the cold air erodes as the storms pull ofd the atlantic.. with atlantic so warm the warm noses this year are a bit more stout than others.. personally i dont see any reason to get excited for the rest of winter.. our best chance was the sleet and snow storm last month. It sucks that a year that looked promising for us is really gonne turn out to be another ne blockbuster from here on out.. stop model hugging and look at the bigger picture... the patterns just arent favorable for a snowstorm this year just miller b with ice issues etc

Guy i hate to be the bearer of bad news but people getting excited over pattern that supports cold and dry... the trend this year is the cold air erodes as the storms pull ofd the atlantic.. with atlantic so warm the warm noses this year are a bit more stout than others.. personally i dont see any reason to get excited for the rest of winter.. our best chance was the sleet and snow storm last month. It sucks that a year that looked promising for us is really gonne turn out to be another ne blockbuster from here on out.. stop model hugging and look at the bigger picture... the patterns just arent favorable for a snowstorm this year just miller b with ice issues etc

Things still look promising next Monday for N. Ga, Upstate and most of NC.

So, Carolina Crusher 3: The Electric Boogalee? Or no? Looks like cold air may be the problem. Again.

I think Monday has a good shot of providing at least the CAD areas some wintery precip. But the usual mixed bag would be the favored outcome; which would be fine with me. Can you imagine the roads, after the very cold weekend temps, with a few inches of snow/sleet then some freezing rain.

Heck, even just light freezing rain would be a disaster.  

So, Carolina Crusher 3: The Electric Boogalee? Or no? Looks like cold air may be the problem. Again.

The "Great Southeastern Valentine Storm of 2016" will be talked about for generations.  Minstrels will write songs. Dissertations will be written.  Conspiracy theories will arise over why it snowed everywhere except Wake County.  Over the years, these theories will morph into legends that will be told around the campfires of drunk rednecks for a thousand years.  A movie destined to receive the academy award for best picture will be released. "Oh the Bread, Oh the Milk, Oh the Humanity" will become an instant classic.

or it could just rain like usual

The "Great Southeastern Valentine Storm of 2016" will be talked about for generations.  Minstrels will write songs. Dissertations will be written.  Conspiracy theories will arise over why it snowed everywhere except Wake County.  Over the years, these theories will morph into legends that will be told around the campfires of

DRUNK REDNECKS

for a thousand years.  A movie destined to receive the academy award for best picture will be released. "Oh the Bread, Oh the Milk, Oh the Humanity" will become an instant classic.

YOU RANG?

The "Great Southeastern Valentine Storm of 2016" will be talked about for generations.  Minstrels will write songs. Dissertations will be written.  Conspiracy theories will arise over why it snowed everywhere except Wake County.  Over the years, these theories will morph into legends that will be told around the campfires of

DRUNK REDNECKS

for a thousand years.  A movie destined to receive the academy award for best picture will be released. "Oh the Bread, Oh the Milk, Oh the Humanity" will become an instant classic.

YOU RANG?

lol So that's what you picked out.  After I worked so hard deciding on the title of the movie.

Another God awful winter here. This decade has been the worst in my lifetime overall. 2010 and 2011 were good but since then it's been awful. Bring on spring !

So 33.33% of your winters (in west central GA) this decade were good.  Sounds pretty good to me.  

Cimatology of Central Georgia

thermo.gifTemperature - The area experiences all four seasons. Summers typically consist of long spells of warm and humid weather. Average afternoon high temperatures are in the lower 90s. Readings of 90 or higher can be expected on 70 to 80 days. Overnight lows usually range from the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Temperatures during winter months are more variable. Oftentimes, stretches of mild weather will alternate with cold spells. Winter high temperatures average in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Lows average in the mid 30s. Lows of 32 degrees or lower can be expected on 40 to 50 days.

Spring and Autumn seasons are characterized by much variability from day to day and from year to year. The average date of the first freeze is in mid-November. The average date of the last freeze in the spring is in mid to late March.

Precipitation - A measurable amount of rain falls on about 120 days each year, producing amountsaveraging between 45 and 50 inches.

As for snowfall, the average annual total is less than one inch.

Averaging over many years, the driest months are September and October while the wettest month is March. Thunderstorms are common in the spring and summer months. On a typical year, thunder will be heard on 50 to 60 days.

So 33.33% of your winters (in west central GA) this decade were good.  Sounds pretty good to me.  

thermo.gifTemperature - The area experiences all four seasons. Summers typically consist of long spells of warm and humid weather. Average afternoon high temperatures are in the lower 90s. Readings of 90 or higher can be expected on 70 to 80 days. Overnight lows usually range from the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Temperatures during winter months are more variable. Oftentimes, stretches of mild weather will alternate with cold spells. Winter high temperatures average in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Lows average in the mid 30s. Lows of 32 degrees or lower can be expected on 40 to 50 days.

Spring and Autumn seasons are characterized by much variability from day to day and from year to year. The average date of the first freeze is in mid-November. The average date of the last freeze in the spring is in mid to late March.

Precipitation - A measurable amount of rain falls on about 120 days each year, producing amountsaveraging between 45 and 50 inches.

Averaging over many years, the driest months are September and October while the wettest month is March. Thunderstorms are common in the spring and summer months. On a typical year, thunder will be heard on 50 to 60 days.

Sorta like "try'n to find gold in a silver mine"

So 33.33% of your winters (in west central GA) this decade were good. Sounds pretty good to me.

thermo.gifTemperature - The area experiences all four seasons. Summers typically consist of long spells of warm and humid weather. Average afternoon high temperatures are in the lower 90s. Readings of 90 or higher can be expected on 70 to 80 days. Overnight lows usually range from the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Temperatures during winter months are more variable. Oftentimes, stretches of mild weather will alternate with cold spells. Winter high temperatures average in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Lows average in the mid 30s. Lows of 32 degrees or lower can be expected on 40 to 50 days.

Spring and Autumn seasons are characterized by much variability from day to day and from year to year. The average date of the first freeze is in mid-November. The average date of the last freeze in the spring is in mid to late March.

Precipitation - A measurable amount of rain falls on about 120 days each year, producing amountsaveraging between 45 and 50 inches.

I love how you post the climatology for central GA. I don't consider Atlanta or the I-20 corridor to be central GA. Also I'm at a higher elevation than most areas in the south outside of the mountains. You obviously know nothing about GA. West Central GA is a far cry from Central GA. Central GA is Macon. I've had less than 10% of avg snowfall 4 out of the last 5 winters.

lol... So maybe you average 2 inches, what is your year to date total?

my year to date total is a light dusting. I don't even know how much that would be. 1/10" ? We can't even get 50% of our normal snowfall anymore. At this point I would settle for 25%. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I might as well be at sea level in FL because they get about as much snow as I do at over 1,000'. Give me an inch every year and I'll be happy. I really don't think that's asking for a whole lot.

my year to date total is a light dusting. I don't even know how much that would be. 1/10" ? We can't even get 50% of our normal snowfall anymore. At this point I would settle for 25%. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I might as well be at sea level in FL because they get about as much snow as I do at over 1,000'.

it's the 9th of Feb, you have a chance of snow next Monday. Why not just move to a spot in the mtns that averages over 60"?. You're young shouldn't be too hard to move

it's the 9th of Feb, you have a chance of snow next Monday. Why not just move to a spot in the mtns that averages over 60"?. You're young shouldn't be too hard to move

Kind of what I was thinking.  Wasn't trying to be a prick (though that seems how it was taken), but most of Georgia (outside of the northern mountains) is pretty much going to be hit or miss on significant snows and you don't get to an average of 2 by having snow every year.

Kind of what I was thinking. Wasn't trying to be a prick (though that seems how it was taken), but most of Georgia (outside of the northern mountains) is pretty much going to be hit or miss on significant snows and you don't get to an average of 2 by having snow every year.

Georgians are sensitive with the whole North ga middle ga thing.

Archived