• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Banter

JoshM

Kind of what I was thinking. Wasn't trying to be a prick (though that seems how it was taken), but most of Georgia (outside of the northern mountains) is pretty much going to be hit or miss on significant snows and you don't get to an average of 2 by having snow every year.

we used to get snow every year. At least a dusting. The last 12 years or so we've been completely shut out many times and we never have a winter with more than 4", unlike places like Dallas who had a foot of snow last winter. We are just in a snow hole. There's really no explanation. It just is what it is. I don't even ask for a significant snow. I just want to see 1/2". This isn't FL. It shouldn't be that difficult to get 1/2".

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we used to get snow every year. At least a dusting. The last 12 years or so we've been completely shut out many times and we never have a winter with more than 4", unlike places like Dallas who had a foot of snow last winter. We are just in a snow hole. There's really no explanation. It just is what it is. I don't even ask for a significant snow. I just want to see 1/2". This isn't FL. It shouldn't be that difficult to get 1/2".

Dallas is a different world than ATL or vicinity, cold air gets in much easier fro the Plains and its more likely for a favorable storm track to produce major snows.  Despite the fact they only average 3 or so inches like ATL, their ceiling on big events is more frequent and higher.  They average a 6-8 inch event every 15-20 years or so in the city, even if its north of the airport.  ATL I would guess averages an 8 inch event every 40 years or so and probably a 4 inch event is a every 10-15 year incidence on average despite the fact they had like 4 of them in 2010 and 11.

Dallas is a different world than ATL or vicinity, cold air gets in much easier fro the Plains and its more likely for a favorable storm track to produce major snows. Despite the fact they only average 3 or so inches like ATL, their ceiling on big events is more frequent and higher. They average a 6-8 inch event every 15-20 years or so in the city, even if its north of the airport. ATL I would guess averages an 8 inch event every 40 years or so and probably a 4 inch event is a every 10-15 year incidence on average despite the fact they had like 4 of them in 2010 and 11.

heck, even Birmingham and columbia get big snowfalls more frequently than Atlanta. In fact, name me one city in the entire stretch of I-20 that gets big snows as infrequently as Atlanta does. Its been 33 years since Atlanta has had a 6" snow. Even areas south of Atlanta have had bigger snows than Atlantas biggest snow. I think Columbus to Macon had like a foot of snow or more in the 70s. I'm not sure Atlanta has ever had a double digit snowfall.

heck, even Birmingham and columbia get big snowfalls more frequently than Atlanta. In fact, name me one city in the entire stretch of I-20 that gets big snows as infrequently as Atlanta does. Its been 33 years since Atlanta has had a 6" snow. Even areas south of Atlanta have had bigger snows than Atlantas biggest snow. I think Columbus to Macon had like a foot of snow or more in the 70s. I'm not sure Atlanta has ever had a double digit snowfall.

If it makes you feel any better, Nashville was a relative snow hole for the past 20+ years and they are finally having a good year. Maybe you will score before this year is over.  

Still quite a bit of time left with the pattern looking to have a BIG tall western ridge later in the month, not to mention the possibility you could grab some flakes early next week before a change over.  It only takes one.

I can't believe they would give you a permanent ban and block your IP address over something so silly.

I could not believe it either but hey I like it over here more. two people complained bc they were dog lovers, which I love my dog as well, and were horrified by it. 

I feel real bad for Shawn. He got banned as well trying to defend me. 

I could not believe it either but hey I like it over here more. two people complained bc they were dog lovers, which I love my dog as well, and were horrified by it. 

I got banned a long time ago and I also like it more over here. It's a real mess over there.

I have never visited cause well, the last thing I need is another weather board to pay attention to. That being said based on comments I've seen here not sure I've missed anything.

When discussing ensembles, can someone give me a short explanation of the difference between the control and the mean? I understand the mean is an average of all of the members (or at least think I do), but I don't understand the significance of the control. 

In easy, short terms I believe the control is a form of the main Operational run at a lower resolution.  Then that control run has little changes applied and each member come up with a forecast of it's own with those little changes.

In experience, if an ensemble mean, members, or SOMETIMES the control run vary greatly from the operational run, some digging needs to be done to figure out why.  Ensembles are a wonderful thing.

This may sound like a silly question but when people speak of the " CAD region" does that include the Atlanta area and points westward into east AL ? Or is it mainly NE GA and the Carolinas ? I honestly have no clue if I'm considered to be in the CAD region.

This seems to be asked alot! A perfect , super strong wedge , can extend past you, into NE AL! Favored areas , I would say are Gainesville , Ga, through GSP to CLT to RAH!

This seems to be asked alot! A perfect , super strong wedge , can extend past you, into NE AL! Favored areas , I would say are Gainesville , Ga, through GSP to CLT to RAH!

yeah I know favored areas are Gainesville to Greenville to Charlotte etc, but since I sometimes experience CAD I didn't know if I was included in the " CAD region".

yeah I know favored areas are Gainesville to Greenville to Charlotte etc, but since I sometimes experience CAD I didn't know if I was included in the " CAD region".

Under a strong CAD situation, a tounge of cooler air can definitely get down your way.  I wouldn't consider it exactly "favorable".  Happens commonly through the year though.

Archived