joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the banding N and W is working out. Dryslot as usual ruins the party for some, hinted at lower H7-H5 RH. That dryskot alos enhances S+ on the frontogenic side of it. That should all collapse eastward this morning I think.

I tried as best I could at 8pm. 17" seems to be the number. I'm going to shovel in a little while and get better measurements.

Looking at DOX radar implies the dry slot may verify more as a damp to wet slot.

Never really lost decent rates even though I'm not in the best band, probably still 0.5 inches per hour.

yeah...these pity slots/lulls are steady light snow producers....agree about 0.5/hr....

Sorry to say, but many runs had extreme NE MD and DE in a precip shadow of sorts. The huge totals were just never shown there. So not surprised things are in a lull.

The huge band NW will sag south and some echoes are already moving up off the ocean. We'll get banded in a bit I think. It piles up fast in the band.

Yeah, a little disappointing here. What's your measurement there?

I haven't went out yet, I really can't say for sure.Just looking out window making an educated guess I'd say. 12-13. Have a plant box on the ground made out of 2x12. I cant see it, it's completely covered and it's inside the backyard fence which should have kept down some of the drifting. At least the winds haven't disappointed.

There some nice winds every now and then but, yeah, I've seen nothing close to 46. Any reports of thundersnow? I was worried when I finally gave up the ghost last night that I'd miss that but there doesn't seem to have been much, if any.

Plenty of reports of thundersnow. A loud, long rumble was what woke me up around 6 am, 

Measured 9.5" this morning on the snow board. Taking various measurements around my property to compare, around 9.5" was the most common, with ranges between 9.0" and 11.5". A lot of drifting obviously, so I don't know how accurate it is.

I think that long period of sleet in the middle of the night really cut down on accumulations here. But its snowing hard now so we'll see how much we'll make up.

I am getting heavier bands now for the past couple of hours than I did most of the night.  It is hard to say what I have exactly since I haven't waded out yet.  Snow stick is around 13 inches, but other areas around the place suggest it could be a couple more than that.

Archived