• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January and #HECS2016 Banter Thread

WxUSAF

I posted this on my Facebook page...I'm just in awe right now.

"For those that don’t know, I consider myself a pretty sensitive person in the sense that a lot of what happens in the world in terms of nature can impact me pretty deep sometimes. I suppose that’s why I became infatuated with weather growing up as a kid, and why I would watch The Weather Channel for hours on end, practically being the only thing I watched until I was about 10 or so. I have dreamed of experiencing a unique, rare meteorological event such as this…and I’m really damn privileged to be able to experience one right now. It’s a very moving experience to think of the all the atmospheric processes that go on in a nor’easter storm, especially one of this magnitude. A quick look at the water loop from NOAA will show this monstrous storm digging all the way to Cuba with its moisture belt, bringing up the plentiful atmospheric moisture that is needed to produce huge snowfalls that many will wake up to later today. There’s so much more that goes into it, such as the development of dendrite snowflakes needed for ratios that often produce 2” per hour ratios in “deformation bands” common in storms like this, or the development of the surface level pressure that bombs out once it transfer into the coast just above the Hatteras in North Carolina. The level of physics going on right now in the atmosphere, and just being able to recognize that it’s happening is probably one of the best experiences anyone can have, at least in my opinion. I may never see a storm like this in my lifetime, and it may be one I will tell my grand kids about many years from now. Enjoy this one, friends in DC, snow may cause inconvenience but it belittles the beauty of this world to simply view it as a clump of white annoyance and not a fantastic show put on by nature."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this on my Facebook page...I'm just in awe right now.

"For those that don’t know, I consider myself a pretty sensitive person in the sense that a lot of what happens in the world in terms of nature can impact me pretty deep sometimes. I suppose that’s why I became infatuated with weather growing up as a kid, and why I would watch The Weather Channel for hours on end, practically being the only thing I watched until I was about 10 or so. I have dreamed of experiencing a unique, rare meteorological event such as this…and I’m really damn privileged to be able to experience one right now. It’s a very moving experience to think of the all the atmospheric processes that go on in a nor’easter storm, especially one of this magnitude. A quick look at the water loop from NOAA will show this monstrous storm digging all the way to Cuba with its moisture belt, bringing up the plentiful atmospheric moisture that is needed to produce huge snowfalls that many will wake up to later today. There’s so much more that goes into it, such as the development of dendrite snowflakes needed for ratios that often produce 2” per hour ratios in “deformation bands” common in storms like this, or the development of the surface level pressure that bombs out once it transfer into the coast just above the Hatteras in North Carolina. The level of physics going on right now in the atmosphere, and just being able to recognize that it’s happening is probably one of the best experiences anyone can have, at least in my opinion. I may never see a storm like this in my lifetime, and it may be one I will tell my grand kids about many years from now. Enjoy this one, friends in DC, snow may cause inconvenience but it belittles the beauty of this world to simply view it as a clump of white annoyance and not a fantastic show put on by nature."

I cried. Mother nature has shown us that we're just little ants. 

Dude.. this is what we live for, isn't it? Anyone who doesn't plan to stay up all night on a Friday night for the biggest storm in over 5 years doesn't belong on this forum imo. I may not have the knowledge, but I certainly have the the love of the storm.

Congrats you guy deserve this ..Heavy snow just moving in here ..

Attempted to shovel deck for the dogs, said f-it after making it down the stairs to the main part and drifts were well over a foot. Walked the dogs out front haha. The beagle went jumping through the snow. Can't wait to get the kid out in it later

Attempted to shovel deck for the dogs, said f-it after making it down the stairs to the main part and drifts were well over a foot. Walked the dogs out front haha. The beagle went jumping through the snow. Can't wait to get the kid out in it later

My poor brother (can you sense the sarcasm?) has to shovel his deck constantly cuz his dog recently had acl surgery.

My poor brother (can you sense the sarcasm?) has to shovel his deck constantly cuz his dog recently had acl surgery.

Yeah, we are 8 days out from one of ours having ACL surgery too. Carried him outside to a spot where there wasn't much snow so he could use the bathroom

congrats on the epic snow...we are getting in on it all the way in southern florida

0657 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 2 ENE NAPLES            26.15N  81.78W  
01/23/2016  M47 MPH          COLLIER            FL   ASOS              

A WNW WIND GUST OF 47 MPH WAS RECORDED BY THE NAPLES   
            MUNICIPAL AIRPORT ASOS AT 657 AM EST. WINDS WERE   
            SUSTAINED AT 33 MPH.   

Archived