SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WPC prediction map. Only goes to 12z Saturday, and this is the 75% probability map. There is one more 95% which they categorize as "worst case". To cut down on hype, I'm sharing this one instead. 

I was checking that winter weather link that they have...some good stuff in there.  Even the 50th percentile map has the 12" amount bordering the Potomac River or just slightly up into MD, by 12Z on Saturday.  Pretty bullish!

Re: the wind. DC isn't likely to get crazy high winds, but even winds gusting to 20-25 mph are going to make for rough conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if someone along the bay reported SNPL with gusts to 40mph at some point.

It might get pretty crazy where I am at some points. I just do not want to lose power.

Isn't it quite possible totals end up being even higher than what the snowfall maps are showing? For instance, areas ended up with well over 30 inches of snow in the February 5-6 storm but I don't recall snowfall maps showing that leading up to the event. I feel like this happens often with our big events where snowfall totals in some or even many locations end up exceeding what the models show leading up to it.

It would seem very possible to me that a wide part of our area could approach 3 feet, or even higher in localized areas.

last map from me before i go work for a bit. 

NWS local maps are starting to come into time frame. There will be wonkiness around CWA boundaries. But at least gives you an idea what offices are thinking.

This is through 7pm Friday. 

post-115-0-62356200-1453296346_thumb.png

Can you do that for Winchester?  

the airport itself isnt included, so you are between MRB and WOO

MRB:

NAM: through the end of the run 1.92 qpf, all snow

GFS: 2.35 qpf all snow

WOO:

NAM: through the end of the run 2.31qpf, all snow

GFS: 1.47 qpf, all snow

hope that helps! 

Idk, everything over 20" starts to cause problems our area is not prepared to deal with

Someone hacked mitch's account...

My take on the 30"+ question is that it almost never happens for a reason. Especially the corridor. Maximizing big storms requires the full gambit of perfection. A large 30"+ distribution is most likely a low probability event

There could be localized areas that exceed that amount but they will be small. Keep in mind that when deform banding is happening there is subsidence around the bands. The entire atmosphere can't be lifted at once. It has ripples. There are winners and losers with max totals who are relatively close together. My guess is a HoCo/MoCo death band attm. Lol

I don't think it will be crazy high winds, I agree, but I think the gusts will be strong enough to verify blizzard warnings. Not sure about climo down here for storm wind, but if there were a storm to do it, this would be it. 

I noted in a previous thread that DCA has never reach 50 mph while it was still snowing during any of the KU-scale events. 2/5-6/10 was actually one of the windier snowstorms we've had-- frequent gusts of upper 30's mph during the height of the storm near midnight. Of course, 2/9-10/10 was windier and we had true blizzard conditions, but even that one didn't hit 50 mph.  

Someone hacked mitch's account...

My take on the 30"+ question is that it almost never happens for a reason. Especially the corridor. Maximizing big storms requires the full gambit of perfection. A large 30"+ distribution is most likely a low probability event

There could be localized areas that exceed that amount but they will be small. Keep in mind that when deform banding is happening there is subsidence around the bands. The entire atmosphere can't be lifted at once. It has ripples. There are winners and losers with max totals who are relatively close together. My guess is a HoCo/MoCo death band attm. Lol

This makes sense and I agree but if this is a perfect full gambit, then what is?

Archived