• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

I'm still a little leery of a widespread icing event. Granted, there will be a major freezing rain episode for some but I think it'll be confined to a narrow stripe along the transition line.

Definitely an odd scenario setting up. Pretty much all depends on the SLP track. I think we're looking at something from la to near n-central alabama and then fading away as the coastal takes over near Savannah area. The only prob is the coastal looks to remain near the coasline, which will flood the eastern areas with warmer air aloft from the east wind/coastal front. SO we'll see, but i like a sleet/snow start in RDU, slowly changing to zr and then rain, ending with backlash. The CAD shoudl hold on long enough to cause some widespread major ice build up however (aka >.3).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No any low track that is along the NC coast is bad for everyone RDU to the east at least.....if it was a really weak low then it wouldn't be so bad but this is a 995ish low and the warm nose is going to be brutal and huge.....I think people are going to be disappointed by how much warm air there really is....we need Wow and his east track more miller A off the coast type scenario to come to pass.....something like that would keep most of NC all snow...otherwise this will be a I77 and west for the most part event......from RDU to I77 will get a decent thump though.

It would just have to hug the coast, just off of the OBX, for central NC to be sitting nicely. A-la the way the GFS and its ENS have been trending with each run. Warm nose is going to be a problem regardless, though, because it doesn't look like the CAD we need will be there anyway. 

Lastest AFD out of GSP pumps the IP into my area. However, a closer look at the GFS shows below all the way down till hr 72 where the surface is at 1.3. 

That would spell more snow. I agree with your statement and we should be able to ID that transition zone well late tomorrow. 

When we narrow down that transition zone, you should automatically add a 25 mile northward jog to the snow/sleet line. We all know in these setups as they start to unfold the WAA at 800mb always pushes 20 to 25 miles farther north than any model is showing. I expect no different from this storm, especially considering  it's strength and track.

I think all of NC except the far NW mountains will get significantly more sleet than they're expecting. Hope I'm wrong though. I can't count how many storms we've had where somebody has had all models showing a snow sounding only to have pingers slamming their windows.

Note that the CAD looks a little more robust this run.  Higher pressures are coming down the Apps.

The surface low is a bit further north and stronger at hr 33.

NAM wrapping up the storm too soon. Ain't gonna happen with that confluence overhead.

SREF has been pretty odd- way lower snows than every other model- only a 5" average for AVL. with quite a few members only 2 or 3 ".

Anyway, NAM at 12 deeper

The 09z/15z (cant remember which)** took way too long to go neutral/negative...finally went neutral and it's almost off the SE coast. The 21z looks better, but I seriously think the SREF is useless until tomorrow. JMO.

More on the SREF, spread was increased with the last run...shows the verdict is still out so take SREF probabilites for you area with a mound of salt. 

Low centers (red = arw, blue = nmm)

New run

aA52L7N.gif

old 15z run

YmDLPTt.gif

Archived