joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #1 - No Banter

Deck Pic

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As some of you have noted, the EC did shift the heaviest snowfall axis farther n-nw, giving more of a climo look e-se toward the Bay and DelMarVA.  The EC seems to be doing that NW-SE flip-flop between the 00-12Z runs.  So...as was mentioned before...not sure it's a trend..

I live in northern AA County, and have come to grips with the fact that I could receive a <bleep> load of snow...just not likely the bullseye. And I'm okay with that -- as long as it's more than 02/2014 where I got 7.5" front end and 3.5" back end (with mix/rain in between).

One thing that gives me pause -- the EC continues to show 80 kts...that's EIGHTY knots of easterly flow at 850 mb. That's an awful lot of warmth screaming in from the east. (and oh-by-the-way, those Atlantic shelf waters are anomalously warm, as we know).  Hard to picture a 100% "clean" or just-snow scenario for the cities/I-95 east. 

What about above 850? I can't imagine a slp placement like that and not having temp issues east of the fall line. Gotta be a warm nose somewhere IMHO.

Not on any of the maps for the lower levels. Looks like some breathing room. The 500mb low track is pretty perfect. DC could miss mixing.

edit: err, was looking at 0z temps.. 12z is warmer but still looks ok.

One thing that gives me pause -- the EC continues to show 80 kts...that's EIGHTY knots of easterly flow at 850 mb. That's an awful lot of warmth screaming in from the east.  Hard to picture a 100% "clean" or just-snow scenario for the cities/I-95 east. 

that's definitely worth considering.

As some of you have noted, the EC did shift the heaviest snowfall axis farther n-nw, giving more of a climo look e-se toward the Bay and DelMarVA.  The EC seems to be doing that NW-SE flip-flop between the 00-12Z runs.  So...as was mentioned before...not sure it's a trend..

I live in northern AA County, and have come to grips with the fact that I could receive a <bleep> load of snow...just not likely the bullseye. And I'm okay with that -- as long as it's more than 02/2014 where I got 7.5" front end and 3.5" back end (with mix/rain in between).

One thing that gives me pause -- the EC continues to show 80 kts...that's EIGHTY knots of easterly flow at 850 mb. That's an awful lot of warmth screaming in from the east. (and oh-by-the-way, those Atlantic shelf waters are anomalously warm, as we know).  Hard to picture a 100% "clean" or just-snow scenario for the cities/I-95 east. 

We could easily mix for a while even up here.

Ocean temps will be back to near normal by Friday so not concerned about that but a strong low right over Norfolk is going to have to have a counter balancing strong high and about 50% of the represented high placements and/or strength won't do it

You do realize models take all these factors into account and apply advanced physics to get a result? Idk why you think your observations and theories trump that.

You do realize models take all these factors into account and apply advanced physics to get a result? Idk why you think your observations and theories trump that.

i

I think so based on outcome experiences and Bob C. Made the same observation because we are good observers with good memories. Go drop a hissy on him if you wish

6UT GFS for BWI

Snow begins Friday morning at 9 AM and ends Saturday afternoon at 1 PM.

Temperatures range from 26 to 29 degrees 

1000-500 hPa thicknesses peak at 541 and 850 hPa T peak at -2 C late Friday evening. 

Winds strengthen throughout Friday and approach blizzard levels  (34 mph late Friday evening) .

Wind direction E to NE to N

Total precipitation 2.07". 

12 UT GFS for BWI

Snow begins Friday morning at 10 AM and ends Saturday evening at 9 PM with a few lulls 

Temperatures range from 29-31

1000-500 hPa thicknesses peak at 541 (are 540-541 for 9 hr period).  850 T peaks at -3. 

Winds strengthen throughout Friday and reach 40 mph sustained early Sunday morning (or is that knots)

Total precipitation 2.56"

Ocean temps will be back to near normal by Friday so not concerned about that but a strong low right over Norfolk is going to have to have a counter balancing strong high and about 50% of the represented high placements and/or strength won't do it

The HP has been trending stronger with just about every model run over the past couple of days. It is sliding into just about the perfect position for us as well. I dont see that being a problem at this point.

I dont know if anybody mentioned the NAVGEM. But it tracks right over Delmarva as well. 

mixing is always a possibility in my location regardless of what models show. Models often miss thin layer of maritime intrusion in dynamic coastal events. Just gotta understand your location and the accept the mix possibility will be there with strong easterlies - regardless if ocean temp. 1996 we mixed but got 24" - so mixing definitely wasnt the story line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To drive home how extreme some of these verbatim model solutions are:

DCA has never reached a 50 mph gust *during* the snowfall for any KU-type event, not even during the Blizzard of '93, or 2/9-10/10, or Blizzard of '66.

To contrast, Logan and LaGuardia airports have gotten gusts 70-90 mph in their major blizzards. 

i

I think so based on outcome experiences and Bob C. Made the same observation because we are good observers with good memories. Go drop a hissy on him if you wish

Very true..  People forget that Feb. 2003 changed to sleet  -- which had not been forecast -- that likely cost Baltimore and DC an extra 6 to 10 inches of snow.  I swear the snow during Feb. 5/6 2010 in NW DC was mixed with rain for about two hours starting about 9:30 p.m. on that Friday night, which kept it from piling up as much as it could have.  Later that week, Feb. 10 blizzard also went snow to sleet back to snow, which I don't think was forecast either.  Just throwing this out cause it's an obvious concern for anyone who's lived in DC long enough.

mixing is always a possibility in my location regardless of what models show. Models often miss thin layer of maritime intrusion in dynamic coastal events. Just gotta understand your location and the accept the mix possibility will be there with strong easterlies - regardless if ocean temp. 1996 we mixed but got 24" - so mixing definitely wasnt the story line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We mixed in 93, 96, 03. No mix in 87 ( I think), 00, 09, 10. Ironically 96 and 03 are probably my favorites so yea I don't think a period of mixing makes or breaks a big one.

Archived