joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what if those two storms are each 20" back to back?

To each his own. What I enjoy are long stretches of cold with snow on the ground and occasional falling snow or ice, predominantly cloudy and grey. Were we to get a little snow in the next week, I could still see a "good" winter. A three week stretch won't do it for me. So, at this point my chances for a good winter are declining fast.

Doing some weather research and having this video play in the background.. Its  a documentary on Blizzard of 1993.. 

Check out in the beginning of the video, look who's in it.  What a group of forecasters !!! 

Go to 6:51 and a few seconds there, you'll see Paul Kocin, Wes Junkin, and  Dr. Louis Uccellini.  

This winter was toast when shorts were worn on T-day weekend and Christmas (and through most of Dec.).  I suspected then it was going to be terrible.  Thanksgiving rule almost never fails.  And the stench of spending much of our best stretch of sun-angle with +20F temps was never going to be erased for me.

YEP.

Doing some weather research and having this video play in the background.. Its  a documentary on Blizzard of 1993.. 

Check out in the beginning of the video, look who's in it.  What a group of forecasters !!! 

Go to 6:51 and a few seconds there, you'll see Paul Kocin, Wes Junkin, and  Dr. Louis Uccellini.  

Gosh I looked young. That was a reproduction for the show.    I gave a live interview with Brian Gumball for the Today show on the storm. 

Doing some weather research and having this video play in the background.. Its a documentary on Blizzard of 1993..

Check out in the beginning of the video, look who's in it. What a group of forecasters !!!

Go to 6:51 and a few seconds there, you'll see Paul Kocin, Wes Junkin, and Dr. Louis Uccellini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIRuYq6Opfo

Wow, thanks for posting that. My absolute favorite weather event of my lifetime. I don't think I'll ever see that one matched.

Have to agree. Absolutely the most incredible storm by a good margin imo. In a class by itself. A true blizzard in every sense. We won't see another in our lifetimes for sure .

Depends on location. I can make a list of at least 10 storms I would take over that one for my area. I do appreciate the event from a historical perspective.

Depends on location. I can make a list of at least 10 storms I would take over that one for my area. I do appreciate the event from a historical perspective.

When I read things like 13" of snow in Birmingham with a low of 2, 4" of snow in the Florida panhandle, 1" recorded in Tampa, Boone NC with 3' of snow and 24 hours with temps below 0......in the middle of March!! ....I still can't believe it. I experienced that storm from right in the spine of the Apps and it was the most remarkable weather event of my life.

When I read things like 13" of snow in Birmingham with a low of 2, 4" of snow in the Florida panhandle, 1" recorded in Tampa, Boone NC with 3' of snow and 24 hours with temps below 0......in the middle of March!! ....I still can't believe it. I experienced that storm from right in the spine of the Apps and it was the most remarkable weather event of my life.

It was an amazing storm for the interior, esp the mountains. But it was a coast hugger. I loved the first third of the storm- warm advection snow when the low was still way to the south. I picked up 8" of heavy wet snow. As the low came up, there was too much warm air drawn in from the Atlantic, so ended up with 40 degree heavy rain. Then dry slot. Then the cold air came back in and my waterlogged slop turned into a 3" solid glacier.

Archived