amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unreal temps right now. 55° at my house right now and sunny. I truly cannot believe it's almost Groundhog Day and pond hockey or snowmobiling has been a no go due to consistently warm temperatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine ever planning on snowmobiling down there with any reliability.

Anyhow... the medium range GFS is an absolute frozen hell... Mega cold. Won't feel anything like spring with -30C 850's overhead.

That's probably an accurate number. But I don't mind gray so doesn't bother me. What's crazy is this is my brothers 2nd winter in chicago and it's crazy how many more sunny days they get than here.

Not really.

It's to be expected with their location relative to the lakes. 

If you were to wake up from a coma and step outside, and asked to guess what month it is, you would say April lol. 58 degrees already, full sun, and I believe I heard the ever so welcoming sounds of natures alarm clock aka birds chirping.

Probably going to be the warmest January day since 2012.

If you were to wake up from a coma and step outside, and asked to guess what month it is, you would say April lol. 58 degrees already, full sun, and I believe I heard the ever so welcoming sounds of natures alarm clock aka birds chirping.

Probably going to be the warmest January day since 2012.

I see you have dews above 50 down there as well.  That's gotta feel nice.  Definitely a stark contrast to up here lol.

The maple in my yard has buds swelling too as does my neighbor's crimson king maple.

All trees have winter buds so I wonder if some people confuse the two (maple trees have red buds all winter, but when they swell in spring you know it). But it has been cold until the last few days. A few days in the 40s-50s are common most years in Jan-Feb, so if all it takes is a few days to do that, I would have to assume it happens annually, and since the trees dont actually bloom until late April or early May I never notice mid-winter swelling. What I do notice is that it seems like every time we get a warm winter day people talk of buds swelling, and I always wonder if its the mind feeling how warm it is outside, seeing the winter buds, and connecting the two.

Well, after the WARM December we had and things starting to bud and pop up then, it wouldn't be shocking to see these spring signs now.

I still have 6 inches of snow/ice in my yard...so I don't see anything "springish" yet, besides dirty brown snow....

Well Jan is winding down.  Will finish the month with 0.77" of precip.  3.2" of snow.  That combined with the 1.3" in Dec brings the met winter snow total up to a staggering 4.5".  

Highest temp of the month was 48 on the 14th, and lowest was -6 on the 18th.  -6 was also the coldest temp of the winter.

Archived