amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to a few plows earlier this month, you must be having a chemical plow frenzy. Roads have been quite slick.

All is quiet since the arctic cold settled in. Looking forward the break will be good to go through some equipment and fix all of the little stuff which needs to be worked over. Just wish we had more in the way of heavy snow accumulations to enjoy the cold, as it seems to be limited this winter.

This winter, for Toronto, feels similar to last winter... mild December, cold and dry January... please don't let February 2015 be repeated (soooo cold... and dry). Only difference from last year is that Fall of 2015 was way warmer than Fall of 2014.

I would disagree. This feels like a very different kind of winter to me. Lack of snow and snow cover (until recently) being the biggest difference.

All is quiet since the arctic cold settled in. Looking forward the break will be good to go through some equipment and fix all of the little stuff which needs to be worked over. Just wish we had more in the way of heavy snow accumulations to enjoy the cold, as it seems to be limited this winter.

Ah I see. How many actual plowable snows have you push plowed this season? 3-4?

LOL!  Are you right downtown MSP or outside the city?  I know not too far out the city temps are a heck of a lot colder (heat island). 

International Falls is just a whole different level then MSP.

l'll be honest.  I don't mind these cold winter days.  The sun is out all the day.  If you have a south facing room with some windows it really warms up nice.  Cars work fine if you have a block heater (both of mine do).  Plug them into a timer for a few hours and they start like nothing.  I get about 60F+ (so if its -10F...the scangauge reads about 50F) when plugged in for 2 hours. 

Winter has been downright mild around here.  I can pretty much count on a couple -20Fs every year ...and we always have at least a couple days or more with negatives for high temps   Just a couple years back we had like 40 days with subzero temps.  We are at 7 days so far.  Heck...we're still just a notch above norm for the month (obviously today will change that).

It sucks more then a July heatwave, but not by much (in my opinion).

I'm in Eagan now so just south of the airport. Thankfully the new place I moved into only has outside walls on two sides (one of them facing the south!) so I can keep my home fairly warm. However, working overnights I hardly see the sun (if its out) and always feel the brunt of the cold at night.

International Falls is just a whole different level then MSP.

You got that right.  I think -20 is the cutoff up here when people start talking about cold weather up here.  In MSP its anything below 0 I'd say. Those 250 miles straight north create a large temp gradient.

This last stretch of low temps is borderline "cold" and that is only because this winter had been so warm up until the last week or so.

You got that right. I think -20 is the cutoff up here when people start talking about cold weather up here. In MSP its anything below 0 I'd say. Those 250 miles straight north create a large temp gradient.

This last stretch of low temps is borderline "cold" and that is only because this winter had been so warm up until the last week or so.

Welcome to the board. Yep, that makes sense. What are your normal temps this time of year? What about avg. seasonal snowfall and avg. beginning/end dates of snowpack?

Welcome to the board. Yep, that makes sense. What are your normal temps this time of year? What about avg. seasonal snowfall and avg. beginning/end dates of snowpack?

Normal temps for this time of year I think are highs in 10-15 range with lows either side of 0.  

I would guess my backyard averages about 45-50" of snow annually with snow starting to stick around mid November.  I've lived here since 2007, the earliest snow was end of September, latest mid May.

End date of snowpack?  I'd guess late March to early April, but I've found it seems to vary greatly.  2012 was around March 10.  2013 and 2014 were late April.  Those are the extremes I'd guess.

On a note about snow, or lack of it up here.  I haven't had measurable snow since December 23.  This is getting ridiculous.  

Normal temps for this time of year I think are highs in 10-15 range with lows either side of 0.  

I would guess my backyard averages about 45-50" of snow annually with snow starting to stick around mid November.  I've lived here since 2007, the earliest snow was end of September, latest mid May.

End date of snowpack?  I'd guess late March to early April, but I've found it seems to vary greatly.  2012 was around March 10.  2013 and 2014 were late April.  Those are the extremes I'd guess.

On a note about snow, or lack of it up here.  I haven't had measurable snow since December 23.  This is getting ridiculous.  

Yeah, the lack of snow has to be frustrating.  I'm surprised your average snowfall is so low.  I think INL averages 65-70".   

Yeah, the lack of snow has to be frustrating.  I'm surprised your average snowfall is so low.  I think INL averages 65-70".   

Baudette/Lake of the Woods sits right on the boundary between the pine forests typically thought of around INL/BWCA and the prairie of the Red River Valley.  The result is a very sharp difference between average snowfall west to east.  

I have lost count the number of the times a mundane clipper comes through and without a doubt far NW MN gets an inch of snow, I get 3-4" and far NE MN will end up with 6-8".  It almost doesn't seem to matter what model output is even 24 hours before a clipper comes through.  A similar thing happens with Colorado lows storms systems only it's more dramatic (0" to 3-4" to 10"+). 

Been snowing off and on all day today, must be a bit of weak energy passing through.

Wow, quite a difference down here. Bright sunshine all day, winds under 10 MPH, a high of 26°. It actually felt almost nice after the past few days of well below normal temps.

Been snowing off and on all day today, must be a bit of weak energy passing through.

There have been unexplained flakes floating through the air for about 30 hours now lol. No snow in the forecast, no snow in the models, and kept snowing. Was at the auto show last night and downtown had a fresh half inch or so on the pavement. Woke up this morning here to a fresh dusting and flakes still falling. Makes the patches of old snow glisten. Radar looks funny moving east to west.

It's amazing on how much of a snowpack the northern burbs of Detroit have as compared to the city south. Oxford has at least 3-4" of snow OTG. That snowbelt is legit.

A lot of it is from less rain/melting last Friday, but without a doubt they have probably had daily accumulation with these bouts of daily LES. Its estimated the highest elevations of Detroits northern burbs average 50-60" to DTW's 42.5", which is more than most of eastern MI south of NE lower (and often times they will outsnow even NE lower). Same with snowpack retention....the high elevations of north Oakland can frequently have snowcover most of the winter. Obviously, we all had continuous snowpack the last 2 winters, but thats not the norm.

A lot of it is from less rain/melting last Friday, but without a doubt they have probably had daily accumulation with these bouts of daily LES. Its estimated the highest elevations of Detroits northern burbs average 50-60" to DTW's 42.5", which is more than most of eastern MI south of NE lower (and often times they will outsnow even NE lower). Same with snowpack retention....the high elevations of north Oakland can frequently have snowcover most of the winter. Obviously, we all had continuous snowpack the last 2 winters, but thats not the norm.

Me and my wife actually looking at a piece of land that's ENE of Oxford and west of Lakeville just north of Mt. Grampian well Over 1200'. that spot is bullesye of SEMI. 60" easy per season.

Before the Rain. A solid 8" cover was OTG. Last week I measured 11.9" to DTW's 7.6". We had a ton of rain as well! Snow was just a lot deeper.

Picked up 0.8" overnight. Looks good with a fresh blanket of white.

Me and my wife actually looking at a piece of land that's ENE of Oxford and west of Lakeville just north of Mt. Grampian well Over 1200'. that spot is bullesye of SEMI. 60" easy per season.

Before the Rain. A solid 8" cover was OTG. Last week I measured 11.9" to DTW's 7.6". We had a ton of rain as well! Snow was just a lot deeper.

Picked up 0.8" overnight. Looks good with a fresh blanket of white.

Funny my wife and I have been looking at homes in the village of Oxford and near Mt Grampian for a while now. We just love the convenience of the city too much. But it is so peaceful out that way.

Noticing the radar picking up the easterly flow off of Huron. Wondering if some areas cash in tomorrow.

Archived