Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually they're the most dangerous. A bull moose will seemingly for no reason charge, and a momma moose is probably even more dangerous. I'm less afraid of the bears. The black bears here are timid and the least territorial of bears. I just wouldn't want to surprise one... especially with babies.

A buddy of mine was riding his 4-wheeler over by Champion this past fall and was charged by a bull moose.

My brother hunted/killed moose.  I've never tried it, but he said the meat tasted like mud.  I guess its probably because of what they eat.  A whitetail around here probably tastes like cattle considering they eat a lot of corn/beans/grass.

Feels like a heatwave.  Not looking forward to next week. 

My brother hunted/killed moose.  I've never tried it, but he said the meat tasted like mud.  I guess its probably because of what they eat.  A whitetail around here probably tastes like cattle considering they eat a lot of corn/beans/grass.

Feels like a heatwave.  Not looking forward to next week.

Never had moose meat but the deer up here are very gamey tasting, I assume from the diet as well. I like gamey taste tho.

really scraping the bottom of the barrel this year

We've been spoiled by some remarkable winters & storms lately. Actually, this winter has been pretty impressive with what it's pulled out of its arse, at least locally: epic november pasting, record setting sleetfest, about 3 weeks of "snow"cover so far, impressive wind events, and even a couple respectable arctic punches, all during a strong nino winter. It really hasn't been boring and it's only Jan 14th.

Perspective.

We've been spoiled by some remarkable winters & storms lately. Actually, this winter has been pretty impressive with what it's pulled out of its arse, at least locally: epic november pasting, record setting sleetfest, about 3 weeks of "snow"cover so far, impressive wind events, and even a couple respectable arctic punches, all during a strong nino winter. It really hasn't been boring and it's only Jan 14th.

Perspective.

there has been a small stripe NW of Chicago that has had a good winter

Perspective.

The disparity between the city and northwest suburbs has been something, of course in large part due to the November storm.

there has been a small stripe NW of Chicago that has had a good winter

Most of the metro saw at least 4-6" from the November paste-job, which is impressive in any November. The sleetfest was metro-wide, the arctic punches have affected the entire subforum. These events haven't been highly-localized. Sure, that stripe has been hardest hit, but there are lollipops in any event.

48hour_snowfall.png

This winter has definitely favored this area and most of N IL and S WI with snowfall.

Like someone mentioned in the past week, there's usually a corridor where snowfall is pretty good in an el Niño winter. I believe in 97-98, that area was further NW.

If it wasn't for the November snowstorm, then all of us would have a snowfall deficit. Currently here I'm running at the same pace as the winter of 09-10 and 10-11, with 27.8" and 30.4" respectively.

This winter has definitely favored this area and most of N IL and S WI with snowfall.

Like someone mentioned in the past week, there's usually a corridor where snowfall is pretty good in an el Niño winter. I believe in 97-98, that area was further NW.

If it wasn't for the November snowstorm, then all of us would have a snowfall deficit. Currently here I'm running at the same pace as the winter of 09-10 and 10-11, with 27.8" and 30.4" respectively.

Most snowbelts are running "well below" normal ytd, this past week certainty has helped but many are more than 30" under my area included.  Jan has definitely been better with some decent arctic air and even a synoptic event. 

Most snowbelts are running "well below" normal ytd, this past week certainty has helped but many are more than 30" under my area included. Jan has definitely been better with some decent arctic air and even a synoptic event.

A super Nino is probably the worst for LES because it's harder to get Arctic outbreaks. No matter what happens during the last week of the month, I don't think too many of us in Michigan can complain about this month when you consider we have what may turn out to be the strongest Nino on record. I'm ready for a nice stormy Nina/ cold December next winter.

Most snowbelts are running "well below" normal ytd, this past week certainty has helped but many are more than 30" under my area included.  Jan has definitely been better with some decent arctic air and even a synoptic event. 

I think you'll eat away at that deficit going into February. This was supposed to be the transition month, which it has been, and February is supposed to be cold and back loaded with snow. So we'll see.

Up to 38° here. Some compacting going on. Icicles have melted off for the most part.

Perspective.

You have very low standards for winter. :) For most people, the amount of snowfall isn't the only variable in determining how "good" a winter is. And even if you use this metric, 2015-16 snowfall-to-date has only been decent over a localized area.

The "epic November snowfall" was nice, but it was fairly localized and melted in 3 days.

Today is a perfect example which illustrates how obnoxious this winter has been. It feels like we had to pull teeth to get a decent snow cover and some good cold for a couple days...and even so, it's near 45 degrees now with a ton of melting. And relatively speaking, my location has actually been one of the "lucky" ones so far, as you alluded to. This crapfest doesn't happen in a good winter.

Supposed to hold steady until sunset tomorrow too....won't be any snow left.

Point forecast here has it falling to the mid 30s right after sunset, then toward the upper 30s around sunrise and then a slow fall throughout the day. Chance of fog tonight.

Too bad you don't have the rock hard base that is present just north of you.

Overachieving at 52 degrees right now, that's ugly for middle January. Cold and dry for the weekend, with a possible sub zero low Sunday night.

Honestly at this point this dud might be currenty worse than 2011-2012.

That is good for trees :)

I've got 32F in the van.  Nice melt happening.  Can't wait for the subzero polar temps.

You have very low standards for winter. :)

Nah, I have very low standards for a strong nino winter. We've had some great winters in the midwest recently, it made sense that the pattern would eventually break, especially in a strong nino year with a raging pacific jet. All I'm saying is the local area has salvaged a bit of decent winter weather and some notable events despite the nino.

For most people, the amount of snowfall isn't the only variable in determining how "good" a winter is.

Agreed. I'm more about anomalous events, snowcover, and storms.

The "epic November snowfall" was nice, but it was fairly localized and melted in 3 days.

For a November snowstorm in the Midwest, this is a pretty broad accumulation:

bella-totals_0.jpg?v=ap&w=980&h=551&api=

Sorry for the crappy TWC graphic, it's the only regional map I could quickly find. And OF COURSE it melted in 3 days, it was a November snowfall! Still pretty sweet compared to every November I can remember.

Archived