Gonzalo00
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this biting cold has made walking the dog a total pain in the ass

i don't believe there are humans who enjoy this kind of cold

It’s good to finally have some real cold in the air and deep snow covering the ground. After wallowing in the warmth this Fall and early Winter, finally tapping into arctic winter is so satisfying. It's the snow/cold junkie in me, but you almost have to be to spend a Winter in the deep isolation of the UP wilderness. I love the lure of living in a place where tow straps, a shovel, sand, a sleeping bag and .45 cal are standard vehicle equipment. :D

The road up to my little camp, tucked away in the woods is covered with fluffy fresh snow, with just my tracks, as I'm one of the only souls up this way and def not enough for a plow to come out.

so...it's 4 degrees, a crackling fire is warming my feet... snow's in the forecast and a ham in the crockpot. I seriously don't think life can get any better. That, or I'm just easily satisfied.

It’s good to finally have some real cold in the air and deep snow covering the ground. After wallowing in the warmth this Fall and early Winter, finally tapping into arctic winter is so satisfying. It's the snow/cold junkie in me, but you almost have to be to spend a Winter in the deep isolation of the UP wilderness. I love the lure of living in a place where tow straps, a shovel, sand, a sleeping bag and .45 cal are standard vehicle equipment. :D

The road up to my little camp, tucked away in the woods is covered with fluffy fresh snow, with just my tracks, as I'm one of the only souls up this way and def not enough for a plow to come out.

so...it's 4 degrees, a crackling fire is warming my feet... snow's in the forecast and a ham in the crockpot. I seriously don't think life can get any better. That, or I'm just easily satisfied.

Didn't you see some wolf track or wolf's themselves last winter?

-2° here this morning.

Didn't you see some wolf track or wolf's themselves last winter?

-2° here this morning.

I saw a wolf in my yard last October. I see tracks frequently and I have a bear and 2 cubs that den up around the very back of my 20 acres. I've seen them several times. Also saw a mountain lion one night as I was driving. Haven't seen a moose or a bobcat either, but the biggest part of them stay sw of me in the highland plains , not the rocky hills here.

moose seem pretty chill

probably my favorite woodland critter

actually they're the most dangerous. A bull moose will seemingly for no reason charge, and a momma moose is probably even more dangerous. I'm less afraid of the bears. The black bears here are timid and the least territorial of bears. I just wouldn't want to surprise one... especially with babies.

A buddy of mine was riding his 4-wheeler over by Champion this past fall and was charged by a bull moose.

actually they're the most dangerous. A bull moose will seemingly for no reason charge, and a momma moose is probably even more dangerous. Im' less afraid of the bears. The black bears here are timid and the least territorial of bears. I just wouldn't want to surprise one... especially with babies.

A buddy of mine was riding his 4-wheeler over by Champion this pastfall and was charged by a bull moose.

Moose isn't a "critter" either lol. I agree wholehearted on seeing a bear over a moose.

I saw a wolf in my yard last October. I see tracks frequently and I have a bear and 2 cubs that den up around the very back of my 20 acres. I've seen them several times. Also saw a mountain lion one night as I was driving. Haven't seen a moose or a bobcat either, but the biggest part of them stay sw of me in the highland plains , not the rocky hills here.

Mountain Lions are the ones you really have to watch out for. Stealthiest animal in the woods.

Yeah Moose don't live rocky terrain, they're near water mostly. When I was in Colorado camping last July a bull moose wandered into the meadow adjacent to camp one evening and it snorted at our group. Didn't do anything, but did stare for awhile.

Up to 15°, still feels like 0° outside.

Just looked back at January of 2014. The 13th was the warmest day of the month at 44°. On the 10th the area had that freezing rain event where all the roads turned to ice due to the frozen ground. That was some of the worst driving involving freezing rain around here that I can remember.

Just looked back at January of 2014. The 13th was the warmest day of the month at 44°. On the 10th the area had that freezing rain event where all the roads turned to ice due to the frozen ground. That was some of the worst driving involving freezing rain around here that I can remember.

The whole winter was just epic, it seems like after the historic fall tornado outbreak on 11/17/13, winter set in on the heels of that event. The blizzard on the 5th of January, had the interstates shut down, and if I recall it was snowing at like 10 degrees that night, snow almost looked fake because it was so powdery.

Yeah Schaumburg, things have been rather ugly downstate from about Bloomington on south. This pattern blows.

Archived