Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went jogging last night when it was around 9F...  with the wind it was brutal.  I saw a dude jogging today and his mustache was all frosty... 

You're tough!

I wouldn't go jogging at night, maybe during the day in the sun would be ok.

Down to +3° here. Going below zero tonight.

Today's game at Minneapolis was reported to be -6 at kickoff. nearby MSP airport had a wind of 9 knots or 10mph. wind chill: -22.4F.

Seeing as how today featured the 3rd coldest game in NFL history, let's focus on the 2nd coldest game in NFL history: 1/10/82. (also known as the Freezer Bowl,) In Cincinnati. The Bengals faced the Chargers and won with a score of 27-7. The high was -4 and the low was -14. The game time air temperature was -9, and winds were up to 27mph (possibly at a nearby airport?). With the modern wind chill formula, this was a wind chill of -36.9F. I heard that Chargers QB Dan Fouts got frostbitten on his hands.

Where was I in 1982? Well, apparently I was in one of the coldest places on the continent: Racine, Wisconsin. The NWS NOWDATA lists the Racine Wisconsin co-op station as a high 0, low -31 on 1/11/82. I am thinking the -31 actually happened on 1/10/82, since Milwaukee Mitchell dropped to -25 on 1/10/82. Wind gusts at Milwaukee were fairly strong in the morning, when the low temperature occurred (I think.) Even a mere 10mph wind with a temp of -31 gives you a wind chill of -54.4 with the modern wind chill formula!! So this was one of the most brutal wind chills you will ever see near Chicago.

The temperature this morning is down to 2°, with a wind chill of -15°, which is wind chill advisory criteria around here. They didn't issue one because wasn't expected to go below -10°. 

Looks like Sunday-Tuesday could be colder the way the Euro's looking.

Archived