amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2016 Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trends today look very positive for SW Michigan and N Central Indiana, but models are really moving away from the LE on the western shores of the Lake Michigan.

I still think the western shore gets something as low level flow veers on Monday, though it's looking likely that heavier totals end up in Indiana or Michigan. 

And yet people "cancel" winter every day on the boards, a fresh inch of snow and their tune changes :lol:

Winter is such a long season but people always think of whats going on right now. On Thanksgiving (a week removed from a big snowstorm) I had to field questions "omg are we in for ANOTHER hard winter" then on Christmas (torch) I had to answer "will we have any winter?". Weather...always talked about, never understood.

Who are all these winter cancelers you always refer too?   I don't know of anyone here who cancelled winter yet.  

Believe it or not, parts of MI, OH and IN are under a moderate drought (even with the 12/28/15 system).

That doesn't look to improve any time soon...

Makes sense.  Yearly precip was a bit down and the last 3 months have been on the dry side.

post-14-0-10287800-1451759296_thumb.png

post-14-0-15669800-1451759302_thumb.png

Who are all these winter cancelers you always refer too? I don't know of anyone here who cancelled winter yet.

I'm not going to play the game of calling people out. You want to pm me and ill be happy to answer. Besides my comment was sort of tongue in cheek, but I guess I need to watch what I say...I have a much shorter leash than others here for whatever reason. So if I post something, it better be 100% literal I guess.

Believe it or not, parts of MI, OH and IN are under a moderate drought (even with the 12/28/15 system).

That doesn't look to improve any time soon...

current_usdm.png

It doesnt look anything like drought but its based on precip deficit. I recall how ridiculous it was last March when we had a massive snowpack in place and simultaneously the NWS was worried about elevated flood risk and we were placed in drought on the drought monitor :lol:. Winter precip was below normal but it was all locked in a deep snowpack.

I'm not going to play the game of calling people out. You want to pm me and ill be happy to answer. Besides my comment was sort of tongue in cheek, but I guess I need to watch what I say...I have a much shorter leash than others here for whatever reason. So if I post something, it better be 100% literal I guess.

I was just wondering.  Don't know anything about your short leash or your requirement to be literal, I just can't think of anyone here...well maybe other than that  torchagaedon (?) dude....who has forecasted a non winter.   

Aurora pic from Wisconsin

1ymQ0U2.jpg

Very nice pics.  

I went out for a very short bit NYE around 10pm.  Wind was relentless out in the open country, so it was very cold to be out.  Clouds were covering most of the sky, so I could only see a little faint green in the middle of the pic above the horizon.  Not too impressive.  

2yw5so7.jpg

LOT is saying 1-3" near the lake in IL on Monday.

BY SUNDAY NIGHT...THE LONGWAVE PATTERN ALOFT WILL BECOME MORE
PROGRESSIVE...WITH LONGWAVE TROUGHING SHARPENING OVER THE ERN CONUS
AND UPPER RIDGING BUILDING ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS. AT THE
SFC...HIGH PRESSURE WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE MIDDLE AND UPPER
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY AND INTO THE WRN GREAT LAKES. A FETCH OF COLD
NLY FLOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER LAKE MICHIGAN...SETTING UP A
SCENARIO FAVORABLE FOR A PLUME OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW TO DEVELOP. MUCH
OF THE GUIDANCE IS INDICATING A CONVERGENCE ZONE DEVELOPING ALONG
THE SPINE OF LAKE MICHIGAN SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING...
FOCUSING A LAKE EFFECT BAND. THIS LAKE EFFECT BAND IS EXPECTED TO
SLOWLY MOVE TO THE WEST THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY...BRINGING
ACCUMULATING LAKE EFFECT SNOW TO NWRN INDIANA MONDAY MORNING AND
THEN SHIFT INTO NERN ILLINOIS MONDAY AFTERNOON. AT THIS TIME...
EXPECT AN AREA OF 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW ACCUMULATION NEAR THE LAKE
FROM AROUND CHESTERTON...INDIANA TO EVANSTON ILLINOIS. WHILE THE
HIGHEST SNOW ACCUMULATION SHOULD GENERALLY BE NEAR THE
LAKE...LIGHTER ACCUMULATIONS ARE LIKELY INTO THE WESTERN AND
SOUTHERN SUBURBS OF THE CHICAGO AREA IN NERN IL AND ACROSS LAKE AND
PORTER COUNTIES IN NWRN INDIANA. AS THE CENTER OF HIGH PRESSURE
CROSSES LAKE MICHIGAN MONDAY EVENING INTO SRN LOWER MICHIGAN...THE
LAKE EFFECT PLUME WILL DISINTEGRATE WITH LOW LEVEL WINDS SHIFTING TO
SELY AND THEN SLY BY TUESDAY MORNING.

4km NAM has a nice mesolow looking feature on the western shore. 18z coming in now...

nam4km_ref_ncus_18.png

Soil moisture is actually one of the factors...click the link

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/AboutUs/ClassificationScheme.aspx

Drought intensity categories are based on five key indicators, numerous supplementary indicators including drought impacts, and local reports from more than 350 expert observers around the country. The accompanying drought severity classification table shows the ranges for each indicator for each dryness level. Because the ranges of the various indicators often don't coincide, the final drought category tends to be based on what the majority of the indicators show and on local observations. The analysts producing the map also weigh the indices according to how well they perform in various parts of the country and at different times of the year. Additional indicators are often needed in the West, where winter snowfall in the mountains has a strong bearing on water supplies. It is this combination of the best available data, local observations and experts’ best judgment that makes the U.S. Drought Monitor more versatile than other drought indicators.

I have to get used to you not being in LAF. How much he sleet pack do you have?

About 1.5" on average.  It's not even though as there are spots with little or nothing, especially near houses and trees.  Lost a little bit on the night of the storm when it poked into the low 40s.

I didn't realize that either.....  Just looked up Griffith.  Ok Hoosier, did you move for the LES?   If so, you win weenie of the decade  :lol:

I would've gone farther east if I moved for the lake effect.  This area can get it but not like being in the real Lake Michigan snowbelt. 

Had been thinking about moving for a while and then some personal stuff sealed it. 

I would've gone farther east if I moved for the lake effect.  This area can get it but not like being in the real Lake Michigan snowbelt. 

Had been thinking about moving for a while and then some personal stuff sealed it. 

Well if you had to move, at least it was in the right direction wrt snow.   Imagine if you had to move to the sub's climo hell, (aka Columbus.  :o )

I was just wondering. Don't know anything about your short leash or your requirement to be literal, I just can't think of anyone here...well maybe other than that torchagaedon (?) dude....who has forecasted a non winter.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone cancel winter either, I mean everyone has been calling it as we see it so far, rain and warm to cold and dry back to rain and warm.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone cancel winter either, I mean everyone has been calling it as we see it so far, rain and warm to cold and dry back to rain and warm.

Right. Although January and February has always been more up in the air. El Nino usually has its biggest warm impact in December.

Archived