joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29- 12/30 Storm Potential

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of now the GFS bring the heavier snows a bit more south, the GEM, and Euro look almost identical to me, in terms of precip amount , however I don't buy the euro solution just yet cause of its placement of the High, with the CAD, WAA, and high placement where it is, it shouldn't be out of the question to get those longer duration snows further south before a changeover the way the GFS is showing, but then again both are playing catch-up to what the GFS has shown for almost 5 days now... The off hour runs ( 06z/18z) haven't been doing well and keep flopping it, probably get a good idea by Saturday/Sunday's12/00z runs

I'd still like this to come south, has a nice set-up to over perform with the CAD almost ALWAYS being under modeled

The warm air will likely be above 850mb, more like 750-800mb, and therefore a lot of that on the southern end is likely sleet. Don't go by the 850mb charts in SWFEs to get the mixing line-it's north of that. Where you are though would likely have a few inches at least. 

The snow will have to come in very heavy to start for the NYC area to see much before changing over. With a strong high like this, dry air to be overcome is another factor. 

Pretty typical in SWFEs for I-90 in NY State over to Boston to get crushed, and for it to mostly be a sloppy mix over to rain in NYC. The times where it works out are much less often than vice versa. NYC has to hope for a pretty far south low transfer, and for the warm air to shut off from the primary. 

The warm air will likely be above 850mb, more like 750-800mb, and therefore a lot of that on the southern end is likely sleet. Don't go by the 850mb charts in SWFEs to get the mixing line-it's north of that. Where you are though would likely have a few inches at least.

The snow will have to come in very heavy to start for the NYC area to see much before changing over. With a strong high like this, dry air to be overcome is another factor.

Pretty typical in SWFEs for I-90 in NY State over to Boston to get crushed, and for it to mostly be a sloppy mix over to rain in NYC. The times where it works out are much less often than vice versa. NYC has to hope for a pretty far south low transfer, and for the warm air to shut off from the primary.

Probably your best post ever! And I agree 200%

Excellent post. The warm nose on the ECMWF is prevalent on every sounding I pull for this sub-forum. Some places could escape with the inversion, but the  snow growth will definitely suffer. 

One thing people have to keep in mind with these setups is when you have an inversion like this, its completely possible to have 4-6" of snow forecast, but when the precip starts to fall you either have broken dendrites or sleet mixing in. 

KNYC

bb1f2338e3129fe84c5d9408bbb1be8c.png

And the 12z GGEM does show a good deal of sleet (rather than snow) for this area, before it changes to rain. 

12z ECM ENS are pretty darn good for this far out. 

2" for the city and about 4" in NNJ 

42dd5b8025509503f099bb24981194f6.png

Some members are likely redeveloping the low further south on the coast. That's what the NYC area would need-the winds have to stay northerly. A stronger high that doesn't want to move could force that re-development. 

Some members are likely redeveloping the low further south on the coast. That's what the NYC area would need-the winds have to stay northerly. A stronger high that doesn't want to move could force that re-development.

That's the only way it works without frontside blocking. Should be interesting to see if the Euro ensembles hold this look tonight. You need secondary surface cyclogenesis on the coastal front to keep the cold high in place and boundary layer winds northerly

The ground is very warm here. My lawns are green. It's going to take heavy snow in order to accumulate. I think 1-3" N&W Max and 2-5" well N&W. Then 90% of th area goes to taint and then rain.

It's gonna be a high of 36 here on Monday and below freezing late Sunday night, the post sandy storm still had leaves on the trees... IMO ground temps are quickly overrun with an hour of decent snow, would only cut down minimally for N+W areas, down there may be a different story

Archived