joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29- 12/30 Storm Potential

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We still have 48 hours before the storm arrives. Models tend to under do the cold so I wouldn't be surprised if it starting trending cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if the city starts out with snow sleet mix and then change into all rain. North & west and especially NE will cash in with this event

As is, this is the typical half hour to 1 hour of Snow/sleet mix for the city, followed by rain/sleet and then rain.

The interior will hold on for an extra 2-3 hours.

I wonder if this storm will be a harbinger of things to come. Given the strong El Nino, I think marginal temps will continue to be a problem for this area even as we enter into a stormier pattern. New England might get hammered again while we just receive a lot of cold rains with some snow on the front end.

If we get offshore tracks we won't have to worry about that happening. Southwest flow events aren't too common during El Niño winters

Jeez what happened, this was a possible snow event to move. What went wrong for that has probably led us to only seeing rain? Basically, what happened to that big bad cold high that looked really impressive for many runs?

It was doomed as a New England event from the get go. No blocking at all, not even a 50/50 low, and a primary parent low driving up into the Midwest

Writing was on the wall with this one for a while. As it is, SWFEs usually work against the NYC area and target NY State and New England. 

Some snow N of 84  with the JP N of the pike was the early call .  Should never have been looked at as a KNYC threat . However I think most didn`t . ( X ANTHONY ) . 

They just tracked . 

Some snow N of 84 with the JP N of the pike was the early call . Should never have been looked at as a KNYC threat . However I think most didn`t . ( X ANTHONY ) .

They just tracked .

Absolutely. Not sure who ever thought this was a NYC storm. Starting of my island and elevated idea well. Though is believe once we get a couple cold shots and the coastal waters to cool we start talking coast snow. Most likely February

Absolutely. Not sure who ever thought this was a NYC storm. Starting of my island and elevated idea well. Though is believe once we get a couple cold shots and the coastal waters to cool we start talking coast snow. Most likely February

I definitely thought it had potential to be a 3-4 inch deal over to rain but the air mass in place ahead of it really isn't here for long so the mid levels just aren't that cold at the start

I definitely thought it had potential to be a 3-4 inch deal over to rain but the air mass in place ahead of it really isn't here for long so the mid levels just aren't that cold at the start

Yeah I hear ya. Obviously I meant to say inland and elivated. But this setup was never meant for the coast. At least the ski resorts will get some snow

Yeah October waters really help snow chances.....Atfer the past 7 or 8 years, throw climo out the window. If you want to argue, look at the books. If there's a possibility to thread the needle, that needle may very well be thread. Low and especially mid level cold may hold on long enough for a decent sleet event. The book isn't quite written although a rain event for the vast majority of us is in order. Northern folk, enjoy.

Yeah October waters really help snow chances.....Atfer the past 7 or 8 years, throw climo out the window. If you want to argue, look at the books. If there's a possibility to thread the needle, that needle may very well be thread. Low and especially mid level cold may hold on long enough for a decent sleet event. The book isn't quite written although a rain event for the vast majority of us is in order. Northern folk, enjoy.

agreed I love snow but I'm focusing on January which will show improved pattern changes by Jan 20 imo

Archived