Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29- 12/30 Storm Potential

UlsterCountySnowZ

16 more GFS runs to go.

It may very well trend a bit warmer inside 72 hours, more so in the mid-levels than anything else, that is a hallmark of these events.  Overall though I'd say the chance of some sort of event is 80% right now.  Forecast models always seem to perform better in El Nino winters for some reason.  I think we had maybe 1 storm all winter last year where model agreement was this consistent for 3 days this far out.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are notoriously not warm enough at the mid levels at this range in SWFEs. There are also very often last minute north trends. In State College I remember seeing very promising SWFE events like these with 12"+ of snow advertised 72-84 hours out turn into half that with tons of sleet and freezing rain. I could see it being a decent event not far from NYC and definitely for SNE especially if the high is in a good place and the low redevelops well south of Long Island, but I'd be very careful about buying into these snow maps at this range. 

Models are notoriously not warm enough at the mid levels at this range in SWFEs. In State College I remember seeing very promising SWFE events like these with 12"+ of snow advertised 72-84 hours out turn into half that with tons of sleet and freezing rain. I could see it being a decent event not far from NYC and definitely for SNE especially if the high is in a good place and the low redevelops well south of Long Island, but I'd be very careful about buying into these snow maps at this range.

On the other end of that argument, especially for those of us with elevation, north of NYC, the CAD is always underestimated, and like I said early those WAA snows come in hard and fast... It's gonna be a close one for the metro without a doubt, but I wouldn't be too worried up here about mid level warmth with this storm if the high stays were its being modeled, usually the warmth pushes through after the majority of damage is done, I fully expect to flip to sleet/rain but not till the storms wrapping up ( with the current modeled set-up)

A small snippet from Upton latest update..

THE STRONG HIGH WILL BE CENTERED OVER

NEW ENGLAND...AND IN A GOOD POSITION FOR COLD AIR DAMMING TO SET
UP AND SUPPLY COLD LOW LEVEL AIR TO THE REGION LATE MON NIGHT
INTO TUE. MODEL GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED COLDER ALOFT...WITH H7-8
TEMPS REMAINING BELOW 0C AT LEAST UNTIL AFTERNOON...WHEN STRONG
S-SW FLOW AT H7-8 SHOULD BRING IN ENOUGH WARM AIR ALOFT.
WITH LOW TEMPS FROM THE MID 20S INLAND...TO LOWER/MID 30S ALONG
THE COAST AND IN NYC METRO...MOST AREAS SHOULD AT LEAST SEE SOME
MIXED PCPN LATE MON NIGHT/TUE MORNING BEFORE A CHANGE TO RAIN BY
TUE AFTERNOON AND INTO TUE NIGHT. HOWEVER...IF WARMER AIR ALOFT IS
DELAYED...INTERIOR SECTIONS MAY HAVE A SHOT AT SEEING THE FIRST
SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON...WHILE AREAS JUST TO THE
SOUTH...INCLUDING COASTAL CT TO JUST NW OF NYC...COULD HAVE A PD
OF ACCUMULATING SNOW BEFORE A CHANGE TO RAIN. HAVE HIGHLIGHTED
POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL FOR INTERIOR SECTIONS
ONLY ATTM.

If the high placement is correct then we'll be getting a lot of sleet/freezing rain as low level cold is likely underestimated.

I don't see much if any snow until well N&W. And yes this could easily trend worse but it can also trend a little better.

Agree. I don't see this as snow for the coast. Still early in the game.

Archived