joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29- 12/30 Storm Potential

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early but many past setups nearly identical to the one shown on the 00z models have dropped 3-5 inches in NYC before changing over

Agreed, we really need that High to stay in place a little longer tho.... I think inland areas will do well if this scenario plays out, we usually do well in WAA, and the coast needs the high to not slide east so fast

GEM is an absolute dumping

Wxbell maps count sleet with snow and artificially inflate the total. 

I don't buy a huge dumping like that anywhere near NYC with an advancing ridge with very warm air to override the cold surface air, and a retreating high. 

There will probably be a good amount of precip because of the strength of the overrunning, and yes, I'd buy a few hour period of snow at the start if the high is in place, but people near the coast are done when the wind shifts away from NE, and inland when the strong overrunning inevitably means a faster advancing sleet line. Warm air aloft is almost always undermodeled at this point too. 

NYC can pull rabbits from hats once in a while from SWFEs, but these are New England snow producers much more than NYC, because they are deeper into the cold air dome. 

This threat is going to be one of the classic front end ordeals where if the low doesn't track too far north, we'll have a massive time trying to figure out precipitation types. 

I am pretty impressed with the high pressure though. This has the potential to gives NYC and the boroughs a quick couple of inches before being rained away. 

Wxbell maps count sleet with snow and artificially inflate the total.

I don't buy a huge dumping like that anywhere near NYC with an advancing ridge with very warm air to override the cold surface air, and a retreating high.

There will probably be a good amount of precip because of the strength of the overrunning, and yes, I'd buy a few hour period of snow at the start if the high is in place, but people near the coast are done when the wind shifts away from NE, and inland when the strong overrunning inevitably means a faster advancing sleet line.

NYC can pull rabbits from hats once in a while from SWFEs, but these are New England snow producers much more than NYC, because they are deeper into the cold air dome.

I'm about 80 miles north of NYC, so I'm liking my chances with one specifically

Classic CAD signature for this one. Got to consider the fact that the ground is warm and hopefully the precip moves in at night. I am very happy to track something period. Long ways to go but it looks to be trending colder. By the way how come I've been 5 posted?

Edit: these systems always over perform!

You also have to take into account that it's been so warm that even if it does snow in NYC, it would have to snow at a pretty good clip for it to stick

If the initial cold front ahead of the storm drags further south than shown now (with a high that strong it's a possibility), it would cool the ground ahead of the oncoming precip. As it is, models show a period that's likely below freezing for the NYC area. 

wheres my $50, look I won't ever mention that fifty under one condition stop the annoying anti snow posts just a bit and cheer for some snow for us weenies. I mean you're a meteorologist and you don't like snow is that even possible?

Lets see what the euro shows can't wait! I have a feeling itll show a 4-6 inches event for NYC

Forky likes snow but loves warmth. If it trends colder, NYC will see Ice and sleet rather than snow. 850s arent cold enough just yet.

Archived