• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/29- 12/30 Storm Potential

UlsterCountySnowZ

The interiors could score big time with storms like this while the coastal plain rains most of the time.

I feel that is going to be a pretty common occurrence this winter with the Nino. I remember in 98, we would get huge front end snows (10"+) followed by rain then snow at then end in the mountains of VA. However 95 and east were usually all rain.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to seeing what the euro does with the high this run. 12z GFS is very encouraging. I wonder how many times there's been measurable snow in NYC within a week of 70+*. I'm sure its happened in March but how many tines in D-J-F?

It's not so much the Euro moving the high our as it is it is slow ejecting the storm. It could be its bias of holding stuff back in the SW but that usually applies more to AZ and NV not so much to NM and TX so the Euro may be correct but I'm leaning towards no right now

50s and rain incoming.

System opens up and isn't amped enough. This is way more likely to trend colder than warm

I guess I should further clarify assuming this system ejects out in time it's way more likely to trend colder because the flow doesn't favor this bombing as it heads to the lakes. Obviously if this thing really slows down then the high moves out and its warmer

I feel that is going to be a pretty common occurrence this winter with the Nino. I remember in 98, we would get huge front end snows (10"+) followed by rain then snow at then end in the mountains of VA. However 95 and east were usually all rain.

Surf freak has been saying the same thing for weeks as well. I agree. Having a 55 degree ocean practically in your backyard in late December is not a good sign along the coast. I think it's an inland score with this system.

Not to say a well timed/well placed exploding low can't do the trick down here at some point though. The more exciting thing will be to see if we can get a storm (wet or white) to really bomb out and take advantage of these ridiculous water temps.

Surf freak has been saying the same thing for weeks as well. I agree. Having a 55 degree ocean practically in your backyard in late December is not a good sign along the coast. I think it's an inland score with this system.

Not to say a well timed/well placed exploding low can't do the trick down here at some point though. The more exciting thing will be to see if we can get a storm (wet or white) to really bomb out and take advantage of these ridiculous water temps.

Even with a weak low you can still get snow with a favorable wind direction. It's all about the evolution of this storm, if that high was locked into place over upstate NY instead of sliding east we'd get a nice drain of cold air from the north even if the water temperatures were 70, but I agree that anything with an Eastern component and the coastal plain is toast.

SSTs:

The Battery: 51.6°F (avg. 43°F)

Sandy Hook: 50°F (avg. 43°F)

It was 59°F at the Battery during the Halloween storm in 2011. It was 43°F this time last year.

Has anyone studied how anomalous SSTs affect snowstorms?

My theory is more about marginal airmasses. If we could get some cold air injected and the wind direction is right it's game on. The difference with the Halloween storm was it was so early it had to create its own cold air so the coast was screwed. We are in the heart of winter now so cold air sources are super cold

I like what I see could be some $ in the bank for me finally

If that high actually stays in that position like the EURO shows, you can bet that there will be some decent accumulations in the burbs.

Fingers crossed. Like I said, this will all come down to how fast the system ejects from Texas and if the high can remain in place and anchor in the cold.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Archived