joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was referring to what I mentioned yesterday and today. I just said have to make sure ridge isn't too far east. I didn't see anything to torchy though. Just typical oscillations.

The thing is, the MJO should actually weaken before getting to phase 8. The phase 7 composite is the much more favorable and is a good precursor pattern to the SSWs and an overall more favorable NAM look.

nino_7_gen_low.png

That being said, it does look like the trough axis will initially be too far east to start the month, but hopefully we can still get light events or clippers from the pattern. The much more favorable look should wait until the 11-15+ day period. It seems pretty far out, but considering the location of true tropical forcing close to the Dateline and the overwhelmingly favorable signals for the proper precursor pattern to occur in the short term, it increases the odds (much higher than usual) for the 11-15+ day progs to be correct. Also helps that there is strong ensemble agreement as well and it's not just the GEFS. 

I like east based -Nao for up here, and most of NE as I think it tend to not shunt storms out to see and off to the east too quickly....I think storm can come further north, yet it still helps keep cold in, I think.  Is that right?  I don't like strong Davis St. blocks for up here.

yeah i think that's sounds right.  Same here.  

It does look like PV finally getting bounced around by a more wave 2 kind of pattern. Definitely a more favorable MJO too. I haven't had the chance to look at the extended in greater depth so tough to say how long it lasts. A piece of the tropospheric vortex is modeled to be in a shape that sort of makes it a bit tougher to get good storms until maybe later in the 11-15 day.

It does look like PV finally getting bounced around by a more wave 2 kind of pattern. Definitely a more favorable MJO too. I haven't had the chance to look at the extended in greater depth so tough to say how long it lasts. A piece of the tropospheric vortex is modeled to be in a shape that sort of makes it a bit tougher to get good storms until maybe later in the 11-15 day.

we are headed down a familiar path, game on. Timing similar to last year.

IMG_20151227_124426.jpg

Archived