joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So there is conflicting guidance on first week of Jan? Some with cold and some with AN...what are the thoughts?

Next weekend (1/2-3) look bn. Week of 1/4 to me is near normal per ensembles but evolution of pattern is decent. It looks to support a pattern of 30s days 20 nights give or take and of course there can be small cold plunges along with mini torches.

Next weekend (1/2-3) look bn. Week of 1/4 to me is near normal per ensembles but evolution of pattern is decent. It looks to support a pattern of 30s days 20 nights give or take and of course there can be small cold plunges along with mini torches.

Yeah I guess what I'm saying is I think we get there thru some big melt days and then cold shots. It sucks for whomever gets snow on Tuesday to watch it all melt away by Wed nite/ Thursday.. But I think that's the gist of the winter. Pack fetishes FTL with alternating AN, BN

from Jan 1 to Jan 9 850 temps don't rise above -5 on the EPS, some real cold and some moderation, at the end beginning to see a great pattern setting up

Ginx , check out  how the CFS  is spreading the warmth back W across Canada and into AK picking up on the - EPO+PNA 

DT thinks it will take a little time to catch it completely , but it looks like the + 4 in SNE is now + 2 . 

Workable for you guys . 

Now many people are wondering how come the latest CFS models are not showing this much colder trend.   Their several reasons for this. To begin with if you are using the CFS from the CPC site it must be remember that that particular version of the CFS is based upon the last 10 days of data (and 4 times a day) so it is going to take a while to see if this trend from the EURO & CFS actually shows up on the CFS model.

In addition if you take a look at the Teleconnections from the CFS we see something very different. For example the PNA out to the 21st of January is quite weak and not nearly as amplified as on the other models. This is also the case with how the CFS is handling the AO which essentially keeps it neutral right through the 21st to 22nd and January.

CFSv2.NaT2m.20151226.201601.gif

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201601.gif

Yes Steve, that's a vort max straight out of the arctic circle, as in arctic jet stream, once that reaches the Gulf Stream, explosive cyclogenesis seems probable at that point.

well Id tame down the explosive stuff but potent ULLs with cold cores going just south of us like to produce at minimum a general light to moderate snow, if blocked then they can really develop. Not seeing any blocking

According to some on twitter, the only pattern change is the NAO going from super + to just +. I'm confused

That is correct but there are other domains that change significantly more than the NAO. The AO looks to go negative though I am not convinced it stays there.

The EPO goes negative too. Not super negative but it should get a colder pattern in here with the big PNA spike.

That is correct but there are other domains that change significantly more than the NAO. The AO looks to go negative though I am not convinced it stays there.

The EPO goes negative too. Not super negative but it should get a colder pattern in here with the big PNA spike.

Yeah I've been reading a lot lately about potential changes in those domains..and not particularly the NAO so it was interesting that it was singled out as the only pattern change from that twitter source.

Archived