SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine, I don't know if a nor'easter will present itself during this period, but I put odds at better than 50/50.

Its using words like "monster" and "sub 960mb"...that's the issue. It takes alot to get such a system but you make it seem like it's no problem, as if it's just a matter of throwing crap on the wall and making something stick and it turning into a 30" snowstorm.

I see stuff on the guidance too that has potential for a coastal, after the new year, but chances are it's not a paralyzing catosphoric snowstorm that threatens mankind with hurricane force winds and 50" snows.

I'm surprised there is still any doubt TBH....the persistence train is off the tracks.

Some of these long term charts look like Feb 2015.

I think there is a sector of people who think it may just pull a January 97 or 99 and just flip right back to crap again mid or late January.  I know that some of the GFS runs and the ensembles have been continually trying after 300 hours to break down the pattern and go zonal but as soon as that same period comes inside 250 hours a day or two later that strong +PNA is back again. 

The PNA was modeled a few weeks ago by VP anomalies. I know we mentioned it, but obviously we were waiting to see how it evolved. So far it seems to be more Nino like as we shut down the IO. I guess the question now is, do we shove that PNA ridge east and warm the U.S. Again? It's possible maybe near mid Jan, but it's really too early to say.

I think there is a sector of people who think it may just pull a January 97 or 99 and just flip right back to crap again mid or late January. I know that some of the GFS runs and the ensembles have been continually trying after 300 hours to break down the pattern and go zonal but as soon as that same period comes inside 250 hours a day or two later that strong +PNA is back again.

If the long range Euro verifies, that is NOT transient.

That is a Cahair ridge with cross polar flow.

The pattern could relax again mid month, but once old man winter pops that nasty zit atop the north pole, we are going to lock in faster than Garth's eyes on a busty college freshman.

We wait.

We verify.

We shovel.

Pop the zit, ooze that arctic puss southward.

Ray, Scott, that +PNA pulls one through for us on the 00z GFS, hour 228, monster shortwave moving through western NY, diving to a position south of the PA/NY border with a coastal developing, signs of a norlun trough setup and with the 850mb level as cold as the GFS has it, OES and high instability snows at least, with maybe a major coastal nor'easter in future runs.

Going the wrong way again?

Anthony Masiello ‏@antmasiello  10m

Just like the analogs said, including the hated Jan MJO ph8, warm anomalies stick over NE US in Jan on ensembles.

He was referring to what I mentioned yesterday and today. I just said have to make sure ridge isn't too far east. I didn't see anything to torchy though. Just typical oscillations.

Archived