joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So at this point going forward where do we stand? Im guessing alot better then we have been. Not really seeing much precip predicted on the 12z gfs in the LR but at least we have some cold air to play with right?

Also I think i have heard a few people mention that this upcoming pattern could produce quite a few storms whether they be cold or warm. Can someone confirm this? 

So at this point going forward where do we stand? Im guessing alot better then we have been. Not really seeing much precip predicted on the 12z gfs in the LR but at least we have some cold air to play with right?

Also I think i have heard a few people mention that this upcoming pattern could produce quite a few storms whether they be cold or warm. Can someone confirm this? 

You will have plenty of work in a few weeks.....I don't see much in the near future.

My largest worry is actually suppression in the long term because everything looks so favorable; however I can't recall dealing with suppression in a strong el nino....that roided out STJ will be tough to deny.

Going to be some insane isentropic lift with some of those systems.

This will be an unprecedented regime in a strong el nino, granted.

Ray, the El Nino will include a -NAO and +PNA coincident.

Complete and utter confluence of teleconnections in a few weeks.....+PDO/PNA, -EPO/AO/NAO....that is a recipe for a mid Atlantic thrashing.

I would not be surprised at all to see a repeat of Feb 2010, though would never predict it at this lead.

This has the potential to be nuts.

Still a warm solution for the 31st system, then the next storm is on 3-4th of January, which appears to be either too weak to produce, or out to sea and even the norlun trough is weakly modeled.  Then the pattern warms up after the 6th as temporary relaxation of the +PNA happens from the 6th through 8th until the -AO reloads a pV into Hudson Bay, then another stormy period looks to unfold with an active STJ.

gfs_namer_090_500_vort_ht.gif

06z GFS December 28th 2015 H5 chart 90 hours

You can see the shortwave energy is strung outwards throughout the trough which stretches from the Northeast towards the southwest.  This is very disorganized energy and you can see how no storm forms from this mess.

nam_namer_084_500_vort_ht.gif

12z NAM at hour 84 December 28th 2015 run H5 chart,

This chart shows how strong the NAM keeps the disturbance at H5 in tact, gathers GOM moisture and comes towards the Mid Atlantic states and New England with snowfall as it arrives during the coldest time of the week, very interesting set of events.

Archived