joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or is snow a heck of a lot easier to come by in TX than it is in GA ? Last winter, TX got slammed with snow and Atlanta got nothing. Now it looks like TX will get slammed with snow again and we get nothing.

The Texas panhandle averages nearly an order of magnitude of snowfall more than Atlanta per winter, so yes. Amarillo averages over 18", for example.

However, Dallas averages about the same as Atlanta.

Texas is a huge state. Snow is very hard to come by in Brownsville, for example.

The Texas panhandle averages nearly an order of magnitude of snowfall more than Atlanta per winter, so yes. Amarillo averages over 18", for example.

However, Dallas averages about the same as Atlanta.

Texas is a huge state. Snow is very hard to come by in Brownsville, for example.

I know Western TX gets more snow than Atlanta, but Dallas ? Dallas had a ton of snow last winter and it looks like they will get more snow in the next few days while Atlanta gets nothing. I don't understand. I know averages say Dallas and Atlanta get about the same but it sure seems like Dallas gets more.

I know Western TX gets more snow than Atlanta, but Dallas ? Dallas had a ton of snow last winter and it looks like they will get more snow in the next few days while Atlanta gets nothing. I don't understand. I know averages say Dallas and Atlanta get about the same but it sure seems like Dallas gets more.

I don't think Dallas is likely to see any accumulating snowfall at this point.

I don't think Dallas is likely to see any accumulating snowfall at this point.

No, but at least they will have snow falling out of the sky. Something that hasn't happened here in 2 years. The last few years, with the exception of 2013-14, it's been a struggle just to get a single flake to fall. Back in the old days, a dusting of snow was guaranteed every winter.

No, but at least they will have snow falling out of the sky. Something that hasn't happened here in 2 years. The last few years, with the exception of 2013-14, it's been a struggle just to get a single flake to fall. Back in the old days, a dusting of snow was guaranteed every winter.

You didn't get any snow last winter?

You didn't get any snow last winter?

heck no. I got a couple of flakes and if I hadn't been outside at just the right time I would have missed them. I did see about 10 inches of snow but that was when I was in Kentucky. I actually had more snow in the God awful 2011-12 winter than last winter. 3 out of the last 4 winters I've been shutout. 5 out of the last 10 winters.

That's why I laugh when I hear these people talking about Feb turning much colder with a better chance of snow. Been there done that LAST YEAR. Sorry but I don't want a repeat of that.

I'd like to go back and look at the old TWC maps and watch the white blob on the daily forecast map move from the TX panhandle, right across the same latitude through the south and make that slight left turn as it pivots around VA/NC.

The good ol' days. Makes you realize just how much easier it is to get snow when you have a -NAO.

On another note, I'm being greedy and overly optimistic, hoping that New Year's Day threat gives someone SOMETHING. It's a GFS special. EURO says "lol wut?"

Is it just me or is snow a heck of a lot easier to come by in TX than it is in GA ? Last winter, TX got slammed with snow and Atlanta got nothing. Now it looks like TX will get slammed with snow again and we get nothing.

Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow, and I'd say over the past 10 years or so, they have gotten way more than us, like not even close. Dallas has had several big snows over the past few years, way more than the upstate anyway. With the overall patterns over the past number of years, the trough always seem to set up to our West letting the cold air that way and keeping the SE wedge in place here. I can't tell you how many times over the past 6-8 years I have watched places like N Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama get snow along with Memphis, only for it to be rain here or a lakes cutter. Someone else said something about remembering systems go from Texas, march East, and come straight to us. I remember that as well, but now they are ALL lakes cutters or Apps runners. The only way us non upslope areas get snow nowadays are from Gulf systems, ULLs, or Nor' Easters. Most of the Gulf systems tend to have too much WAA and many of the Nor'Easters are too far off coast, leading to a pretty big snow drought for many. Apps always keep the coldr air to our West anyway, and that effect seems to have been magnified by the prevailing patterns over the past couple decades. 

:wub:  Ahhh, the 80s!  

Just for kicks (since everyone else around my house is knocking down the eggnog, beer, wine, and oh my God - turkey ....)

Last full moon on Christmas - any southeast correlation?  LOL (very)

post-180-0-23140800-1451094602_thumb.gif

The only one before that after 1900 was 12/25/1920 and I can't figure out how to get a plot/map for that date alone.

Anyone got a resource?

Just for kicks (since everyone else around my house is knocking down the eggnog, beer, wine, and oh my God - turkey ....)

Last full moon on Christmas - any southeast correlation? LOL (very)

attachicon.gifcomphour.N2TMLjP5C5.gif

The only one before that after 1900 was 12/25/1920 and I can't figure out how to get a plot/map for that date alone.

Anyone got a resource?

Renalysis site for the old days

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/cgi-bin/data/composites/plot20thc.day.v2.pl

e0046c4c39f2cf084297c27da434e575.jpg

Haven't seen it show up on the Euro or GFS yet but Canadian has shown this system 2 runs in a row now and with the active STJ this wouldn't surprise me. Verbatim a little too warm for snow but very close especially NC/VA border. Something to keep an eye on, January 4-5th timeframe. Also the high res Euro is picking up on this with 4 of its ensembles showing a light to moderate event around the same time.

post-2321-0-18263900-1451107573_thumb.pn

Archived