joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm replying here as not to clutter up the already cluttered up discussion thread  ;) 

The first bolded: No it doesn't...it points to seasonal 

The second bolded: Let me know how that works out for you

Just an update to this discussion from a few days ago, it indeed does appear a pattern change is on the way. We no longer will see the 70-80 degree temps with ridging over the Eastern Seaboard. Instead guidance from ensembles, GFS, Euro, CMC and seasonal output all indicate early January transitioning into a new pattern. The pattern should feature ridging over Canada and into parts of Alaska with a weak trough over the central and eastern US.

Overall January looks like a cooler month averaging 2-4C below normal here across the south imo. I also believe the last week of January will see further amplification of the pattern with intense cold taking hold the last few days and lasting throughout most of February. Increases evidence of a weakening and disturbed PV will also help with delivering the coldest air of the winter in February. Despite this I think the first 3 weeks of January will see slightly below average temps with brief warmups (nothing like we've seen recently though) for a day or two before returning back below normal.

The slightly below average pattern for January combined with such an active STJ should provide several threats to track and 1 or 2 minor or moderate snow/ice events. Last but not least the pattern flip is under the 10 day mark on the Ensembles and under the 200 hour mark on the GFS. Get ready for a fun January and February everyone :)

and Ryan says:

Ryan Maue @RyanMaue 57m57 minutes ago

Heading into January -- pattern change as Arctic Canada enjoys anomalously warm temps w/chill over W/SW USA

CW72YevU0AE3AUE.png

and JB says:

Joe Bastardi @BigJoeBastardi 4h4 hours ago Cranston, RI

Within 10 days, NY, New England where record warmth surges tomorrow could see 2 snow/ice events as party about to end for eastern US

I think the key to January is where the ridge in Canada sets up. If it stays in western Canada giving us a positive PNA that would be great. If it does as some guidance indicates and slides into central northern Canada with a weak trough over the south then we would be below average but not much deep arctic air to pull down from Canada. Analogs I've seen indicate this staying more towards Western Canada with a broad, weak trough from Texas to NC throughout January.

and Ryan says:

Ryan Maue ‏@RyanMaue 57m57 minutes ago

Heading into January -- pattern change as Arctic Canada enjoys anomalously warm temps w/chill over W/SW USA

CW72YevU0AE3AUE.png

and JB says:

Joe Bastardi ‏@BigJoeBastardi 4h4 hours ago Cranston, RI

Within 10 days, NY, New England where record warmth surges tomorrow could see 2 snow/ice events as party about to end for eastern US

I don't even want to see Ryan's thoughts! They look like the current pattern! # FAIL

I think I'm going to move to Mexico or El Paso, so I can get some arctic air and snow.

One day you may consider Gainesville for some odd reason - but it won't be for arctic air and snow B)

we go have super local breweries ... which make watching you all have a winter tolerable!!!!

Thank the good lord. Maybe now we can get on with winter! 

Must be getting early clocks are running late

Paint by number morning sky looks so phony

Dawn is breaking everywhere

Light a candle curse the glare

Draw the curtains I don't care 'cause it's alright...

It's a lesson to me the Ables and the Bakers and the C's

The ABC's we all must face and try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me the deltas and the east and the freeze ...

Oh well a touch of grey kinda suits us anyway

And that was all I had to say and it's alright

I will get by I will get by I will get by I will survive

We will get by we will get by we will get by we will survive

From LC's page on FB about the coming pattern change:

"A sequence of three storms and a virulent subtropical jet stream (see satellite image) will make for some challenging weather scenarios in the U.S. over the next two weeks. The first system, now ensconced over the Intermountain Region, will move into the Great Plains on Wednesday, with risks for gusty winds, showers, and intense thunderstorms. The prime threat area on Wednesday into Thursday will be the Ohio and Tennessee Valleys, also the central Gulf Coast.

Storm Number Two very much concerns me. Emerging from the southern Rocky Mountains on the day after Christmas (likely digging into the Big Bend vicinity of the Rio Grande Valley), this monster will draw in an Alaskan air mass, with heavy snow and strong winds in E NM, the TX/OK Panhandle Region, and much of KS into NE. Some of the heavier accumulations -may- reach cities like Omaha NE and Topeka KS, and the KC metro will be on the south and east edge of the frozen precipitation shield by the end of the event. Severe thunderstorms and heavy rain will lash most of the area to the right of Interstate 35 on Sunday into Monday of next week. A key issue here: the huge system will build up snowpack and perhaps buckle the 500MB longwave pattern.

Which brings us to Storm Number Three. I am plotting a path into Baja California, then on into central Texas, the Deep South and up the Atlantic Coastal Plain around January 2 - 4. If ridging is as strong in western Canada as some of the ensemble packages have suggested, this system could bring snow to parts of the Great Lakes and Appalachia. Perhaps most importantly, you can make a case of drainage of Arctic into the southern and eastern portion of the country by and after January 5. That -might- be a little fast! But consider the shift in the Madden-Julian Oscillation (Phase 7 and 8 with linkage to the polar westerlies), and the change in character of the circumpolar vortex (skew toward Eurasia with warming from eastern Siberia into western North America), and you get the idea that winter will be making its late entrance to much of the U.S. by two weeks from now."

I think I'm going to move to Mexico or El Paso, so I can get some arctic air and snow.

Come and listen to my story 'bout a board from the East

Poor weather men looking for a winter feast

Then one day they were rooting for a change

When up on the maps showed a mid country beast

Winter that is.... white rain..... Texas ice...

Well the first thing you know the whole boards all aglow

Board folk said, "Rain move along, let's go!"

Said Texahana is the place you outta be 

So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Abeline.

Come and listen to my story 'bout a board from the East

Poor weather men looking for a winter feast

Then one day they were rooting for a change

When up on the maps showed a mid country beast

Winter that is.... white rain..... Texas ice...

Well the first thing you know the whole boards all aglow

Board folk said, "Rain move along, let's go!"

Said Texahana is the place you outta be

So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Abeline.

Haha nice! You should copy it over to the Winter Rhythms thread.

Must be getting early clocks are running late

Paint by number morning sky looks so phony

Dawn is breaking everywhere

Light a candle curse the glare

Draw the curtains I don't care 'cause it's alright...

It's a lesson to me the Ables and the Bakers and the C's

The ABC's we all must face and try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me the deltas and the east and the freeze ...

Oh well a touch of grey kinda suits us anyway

And that was all I had to say and it's alright

I will get by I will get by I will get by I will survive

Make sure you see the ending.

What do you do? 

from this end --- defend big commercial cases in a courtroom, pay real close attention to weather, and play music... for now, weather is at the top of the list, since court is out ....

can we move all of this to trash and get back on topic in this thread (please)?

Archived