• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

Haven't seen it show up on the Euro or GFS yet but Canadian has shown this system 2 runs in a row now and with the active STJ this wouldn't surprise me. Verbatim a little too warm for snow but very close especially NC/VA border. Something to keep an eye on, January 4-5th timeframe. Also the high res Euro is picking up on this with 4 of its ensembles showing a light to moderate event around the same time.

Cosgrove has been talking about this for about a week. He said one to watch too

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amarillo TX has the opposite problem we are having! After a high of 39 today, the TWC 10 day has them with below freezing highs until next Friday, and lots of single digit lows! Oh, and a little blizzard tonight and tomorrow , 8-16" of snow and 5-10' drifts and sustained winds 30-40 and gusts to 60! The 36 hr local forcast, is an epic read! :)

Yeah, it's a tough pill to swallow, and I'd say over the past 10 years or so, they have gotten way more than us, like not even close. Dallas has had several big snows over the past few years, way more than the upstate anyway. With the overall patterns over the past number of years, the trough always seem to set up to our West letting the cold air that way and keeping the SE wedge in place here. I can't tell you how many times over the past 6-8 years I have watched places like N Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama get snow along with Memphis, only for it to be rain here or a lakes cutter. Someone else said something about remembering systems go from Texas, march East, and come straight to us. I remember that as well, but now they are ALL lakes cutters or Apps runners. The only way us non upslope areas get snow nowadays are from Gulf systems, ULLs, or Nor' Easters. Most of the Gulf systems tend to have too much WAA and many of the Nor'Easters are too far off coast, leading to a pretty big snow drought for many. Apps always keep the coldr air to our West anyway, and that effect seems to have been magnified by the prevailing patterns over the past couple decades.

:wub: Ahhh, the 80s!

Memphis has had exactly one year of above average score in the past 4 years, FWIW...maybe 4 in the past 10.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Amarillo TX has the opposite problem we are having! After a high of 39 today, the TWC 10 day has them with below freezing highs until next Friday, and lots of single digit lows! Oh, and a little blizzard tonight and tomorrow , 8-16" of snow and 5-10' drifts and sustained winds 30-40 and gusts to 60! The 36 hr local forcast, is an epic read! :)

Was just looking at that....they do avg 17" of snow per season and there biggest winters are predominantly nino's. This should put them above average for the season and they are not even to Jan yet. They also are at elevation.

That's crazy. Almost as extreme as we are the opposite way. Their average snow isn't that much higher than many of us. Hopefully the rubber band theory bold up and this time next month we are similar here in the Southeast.

I have a friend that just moved there last month. I told them the winter shouldn't be that much colder than here lol.

Cousins accidentally took a knee to end the half of the Redskins Eagles game, when he meant to run a play so they could score. Haha! What a dummy.

When I saw that... it reminded me of some of our winters. We think we're going to score, then we screw up and spike the ball. Then out of time!

I'm ready! Bring it! I hate to get all snowstorm2011 on y'all , but we probably haven't had a 15" season here in 20 years!

Per NOAA we haven't had a 10 inch season since 92-93, so 23 years just for double digits. Haven't had a 15 inch season since 82-83, so 33 years there. When you think about it, it is surprising just how little snow GSP gets. Think how many places have gotten double digit snows ( some multiple) over the past 23 years, not to mention seasons. Raleigh, Myrtle Beach , Charlotte, Dallas, Rock Hill, Greenville, NC, some parts of Georgia and Alabama as well, just to name a few that you might not expect. There's a reason we all talk about Jan 88, that's about about our only big dog in the Western Upstate. Jan 2000, Feb 2004, March 2009, Christmas 2010, Dec 1989, Feb 1973, Dec 2009, several from the past couple years as well all either missed us completely or had minimal amounts for us but were big dogs in some of those other places. Heck, we've only had one 20 inch season (not storm) since records have been kept.

Archived