amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick cool down this weekend then right back up to this again. Mid range predictions show Christmas day at least in mid 60s, maybe higher. I looked back at the daily temps for Dec 2012 - one of the warmest Dec I can ever remember. You know, the first of the 3 torch months for that year? That Dec was 5.5 above for GSP. So far, we have that beat, and with what looks to be coming the rest of the month, we'll beat it easily. Additionally, there looks to be little relief during at least the first part of Jan. And I know everyone makes fun of the accuweather 45 day temps, but they have actually done a fairly good job of showing trends of late (for GSP at least) , and they show no hope at all through the first 3 weeks of Jan. Hopefully we'll get a flip for Feb to get a couple decent weeks, but I am feeling very doubtful for this winter. We're battling stink bugs, mosquitos, and flies all over again and the onion patches in my yard are going to have to mowed. I hope this is not what we will have to get used to  :axe:

The front is already starting to fall apart. The mountains will take most of the rest of the moisture!? .25 at best! What a raging El Niño ! First rain in 13 days, the heat will evaporate that out of the soil tomorrow ! Next week will really start to look like a niño pattern! Been hearing that since Oct! If we can't get snow, atleast it will be wet this winter, oh wait! SMDH! :(

I don't believe the analogs. This el nino is just too strong. the Pacific jet is roaring and will keep all cold air bottled up in Canada for the duration of the winter. We are done, folks.  Maybe next year if we get a la nina? I'm looking at 80 degrees for Christmas day. It's never been that warm on Christmas in all my days in Atlanta. January may get "cool" for a bit, but that's all there is for 2015/2016 winter. The sad thing is, even moving north to Ohio/Kentucky wouldn't improve things much in this situation...

Banter away!

I don't believe the analogs. This el nino is just too strong. the Pacific jet is roaring and will keep all cold air bottled up in Canada for the duration of the winter. We are done, folks.  Maybe next year if we get a la nina? I'm looking at 80 degrees for Christmas day. It's never been that warm on Christmas in all my days in Atlanta. January may get "cool" for a bit, but that's all there is for 2015/2016 winter. The sad thing is, even moving north to Ohio/Kentucky wouldn't improve things much in this situation...

Banter away!

You could be absolutely right but on the other hand...

I think cashing out now on the rest of the winter based on what it has done is just premature. Looking at the calendar, we have a just a few more days to squeeze in one or two events, don't you think? I will remain optimistic. Late Jan into Feb is our best chances here with climo backing me on this one, Super El Nino or not.

It's a complete meltdown across all souther/eastern forums today, LOL....I for one am enjoying this pattern, dry/roasty isn't that bad, off to the pool.

AO & NAO are trending towards neutral at least for the end of the month...AO from +4.5 to +1, so that's a positive. We are really just grasping for straws (both on cold AND warmth for J-F) and we really need to just fast forward this month. Literally nothing will tell us any different until we get there unless the Euro weeklies surprise us. No one trusts seasonal composites or climate models, and short term models in an already foretasted warm December certainly won't tell you anything different. There is nothing to look at other than teleconnections and 10hpa strat charts for the next two weeks. I could have forecasted this meltdown...it's like when it rains for 15+ days straight...everyone gets depressed and has cabin fever. That's the SE forum right now. If you like 70's and 80's in mid to late December you're nuts, seasons aren't bad thing. 

AO & NAO are trending towards neutral at least for the end of the month...AO from +4.5 to +1, so that's a positive. We are really just grasping for straws (both on cold AND warmth for J-F) and we really need to just fast forward this month. Literally nothing will tell us any different until we get there unless the Euro weeklies surprise us. No one trusts seasonal composites or climate models, and short term models in an already foretasted warm December certainly won't tell you anything different. There is nothing to look at other than teleconnections and 10hpa strat charts for the next two weeks. I could have forecasted this meltdown...it's like when it rains for 15+ days straight...everyone gets depressed and has cabin fever. That's the SE forum right now. If you like 70's and 80's in mid to late December you're nuts, seasons aren't bad thing. 

This is nothing but a tap on the shoulder, not even a poke yet...it's fairly comfortable to say that we are weeks out.  I am looking at the ensembles just to see how warm we can get.  It's fairly impressive to say the least...

post-2311-0-07624700-1450115058_thumb.pn

I'm gonna miss packbackers posts in March

We are witness to a one of the strong nino's of our generation.  Although, short of taking a boat out to the tropical pacific and taking a bath in the warm water it doesn't really do anything for me.  Here's to a neutral enso next winter...

The discussion in the main Winter thread is quite disturbing.  If we cycle back to square one with the PV strength, we could be talking even later than late Jan. for Winter weather.

Yep, need to go read it but we haven't even started the cycle. Model progs indicate that happening in the next 7-10 days.

The discussion in the main Winter thread is quite disturbing.  If we cycle back to square one with the PV strength, we could be talking even later than late Jan. for Winter weather.

We shall see, but Fab Feb/Marvelous March seems to be the new theme in the last few winters.  2013-2014 and 2014-2015 were good winters (here, anyways), but 2013-2014 didn't get going until January 28th and 2014-2015 didn't get going until mid-February.  IMBY, we have not had an accumulating snowfall prior to January 17th (2013 storm) since 2011.

It kind of sucks because the sun angle and warmer temperatures tend to scorch the snowpack after it ends and it doesn't stick around as long as in December or January.

We shall see, but Fab Feb/Marvelous March seems to be the new theme in the last few winters. 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 were good winters (here, anyways), but 2013-2014 didn't get going until January 28th and 2014-2015 didn't get going until mid-February. IMBY, we have not had an accumulating snowfall prior to January 17th (2013 storm) since 2011.

It kind of sucks because the sun angle and warmer temperatures tend to scorch the snowpack after it ends and it doesn't stick around as long as in December or January.

Don't worry the seasonal models will save us lol

I don't believe the analogs. This el nino is just too strong. the Pacific jet is roaring and will keep all cold air bottled up in Canada for the duration of the winter. We are done, folks. Maybe next year if we get a la nina? I'm looking at 80 degrees for Christmas day. It's never been that warm on Christmas in all my days in Atlanta. January may get "cool" for a bit, but that's all there is for 2015/2016 winter. The sad thing is, even moving north to Ohio/Kentucky wouldn't improve things much in this situation...

Banter away!

head to the mountains my friend. They always get snow even in the worst of winter.

Archived