joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta is running +9F for the first 14 days of December. Any chance ATL finishes +5 or lower ? Oh and what happened to the idea that the south wouldn't torch as much as the north ? I don't recall anyone saying ATL would be almost +10 for the first half of Dec.

I find it very interesting that the last 5 Decembers have been so warm. I'm not sure what's going on to cause all this warmth in Dec over a 5 year period. Here are the departures for ATL the past 5 Decembers:

2011: +5

2012: +5.8

2013: +2.8

2014: +4.7

2015: +9

I'm almost to the point where I think meteorological winter should be Jan, Feb, March.

Atlanta is running +9F for the first 14 days of December. Any chance ATL finishes +5 or lower ? Oh and what happened to the idea that the south wouldn't torch as much as the north ? I don't recall anyone saying ATL would be almost +10 for the first half of Dec.

The sub tropical jet didnt listen to the analogs! That was going to temper the torch , but hasn't materialized

I find it very interesting that the last 5 Decembers have been so warm. I'm not sure what's going on to cause all this warmth in Dec over a 5 year period. Here are the departures for ATL the past 5 Decembers:

2011: +5

2012: +5.8

2013: +2.8

2014: +4.7

2015: +9

I'm almost to the point where I think meteorological winter should be Jan, Feb, March.

Not only that but look at the lack of BN winter months (DJF) since Jan 2011.  3 out of the past 14 winter months have been below normal, no wonder my avatar looks the way it looks.  Obviously the NAO plays a huge role in this, it's been negative one time in these 14 winter months (2/13).  The other 2 cold winter months had super -EPO.

BN:  2/13, 1/2014, 2/2015  (3 Total)

N-AN:  2/2011, 12/2011, 1/2012, 2/2012, 12/2012, 1/2013, 12/2013, 2/2014, 12/2014, 1/2015,  12/2015 (11 Total)

Now look at the DJF Mean Temp BN or AN past 20 years.  Either we have GW or we are in a warm cycle and next 20-30 year should see things flip....

BN: 2015, 2011, 2010, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1996 (7 BN)

N-AN: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997 (13 AN)

Yeah, my favorite winter storm came in this winter...looks a lot like the crap we are dealing with now.

I loved that storm the first week of Jan 2002. I had just gotten a new camcorder for Christmas and was so excited to take video of the snow. We had a very intense band of snow come through at the very end of that storm. Probably the heaviest snow I've ever seen in that band.

Well alrighty . I think most would accept a winter long torch with one big storm

Sent from my iPhone

Absolutely. Most winter lovers love winter for the snow more than the cold. I believe 91-92 was another example of a warm winter with 1 big snow in the deep south. NCrain do you have a map of the 91-92 winter for temps ?

Absolutely. Most winter lovers love winter for the snow more than the cold. I believe 91-92 was another example of a warm winter with 1 big snow in the deep south. NCrain do you have a map of the 91-92 winter for temps ?

Here you go and here is the link you can play around with...

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/usclimdivs/

cd64.102.249.15.347.15.24.36.prcp.png

Kind of excited about Star Wars coming out this week. That'll hold me over for a while. Forget winter for a month!

that plus Christmas, New Years, and football will help me forget about the weather for a while. Well, not completely forget, but at least I will have other things to take it off my mind for a bit.

I miss that guy from Ga! Him and packbacker were great together , like the legion of gloom!

I think he's like Tigerlilywx or something !

haha! Legion of Gloom...I like that! I was going to photoshop an image with usernames and the Legion of Gloom but I can't think of anyone else but pack...usually Marietta gets involved with the gloom but I haven't seen him as of late (LithuaniaWx or something now?) 

I miss that guy from Ga! Him and packbacker were great together , like the legion of gloom!

I think he's like Tigerlilywx or something !

haha! Legion of Gloom...I like that! I was going to photoshop an image with usernames and the Legion of Gloom but I can't think of anyone else but pack...usually Marietta gets involved with the gloom but I haven't seen him as of late (LithuaniaWx or something now?) 

LOL...I have repeatedly said about 98738492034 times that Feb will be great, how is that gloomy?  I should start posting 'don't trust ensembles past day 10' they are always wrong, we have a great chance at a wintery pattern by new years'... :bag:

It's really not that difficult to see that things will be bad atleast through mid-January.  Anything after that is WAG.  For the 98738492035 time Feb will be rocking... I was on the Jamming Jam train but that ship has sailed with the strat half asleep still.

Even Grit agrees, you saw the w-QBO/nino AO chart calling for AO flip first week of Feb.

post-2311-0-35529100-1450183316_thumb.pn

Yeah, I think that's his user name now. You can put me on the Legion of Gloom meme. I don't want to leave him out there all by himself.

Archived