joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 13th event is gonna happen..at least somewhere, it may not make it all the way up the coast but I would be surprised if at the very least the SE states don't see some sort of winter event, the H5 look has been getting better all day on each run.

The GFS is clipper City

That 13th event is gonna happen..at least somewhere, it may not make it all the way up the coast but I would be surprised if at the very least the SE states don't see some sort of winter event, the H5 look has been getting better all day on each run.

You think the PV will end up screwing us up here possibly?

Not on that event but if the crazy west based NAO happens, maybe after the 20th.  The 13th could miss simply due to a missed phase as the pattern sort of is still just setting up.

Hopefully we can make up for the bad luck of 2010 if that pattern does come to fruition. Great look at hr 162 for the 13th event though. Looking forward to what the Euro has to say.

We Need to ban the word IF

on our forum here  

gets me every time   :hurrbear:

Telly

https://youtu.be/J94-_w9ARX0

Telly like it IS!!!!!

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/ensmean_usbg_animation.html

If---- I could just find my snow googles.......LOL

gfs_asnow_neus_41_zpsyoaev4uy.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2016010700&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=0

I'm not too concerned about the 13th since the signal for the 17th looks very, very nice. 

8beffe76710921d86e04eaf5e48e9d10.png

I've been of the belief that this winter had a big storm in it, despite largely being one that would end up pretty damn mild overall..especially early.  The more I look at the 15-18th time frame, the more I like it...especially in New England

This first system was never going to be anything to get excited about, and always felt it was oversold from the get-go.  A marginal air mass without significant high pressure in Quebec and an ENSO modulated MJO induced plains trough/NE ridge.  Not the setup you want for a storm, especially along the coast.  However, this first system will end up setting the stage for a 50/50 low, and should also help with pumping heights over Greenland.  While the 13th storm will likely end up having too much northern stream interference to end up being a hit here, you will have established a legitimate 50/50 low for later in the month.  You have a truly legitimate -NAO for that 15-18th period, and subsequently should have less northern stream interference in that 15-18th time frame as well.

I think if there's a positive setup for a storm, that's going to be your time frame.

Otherwise, I think this is/was a great learning experience for many as to how individual model runs provide a lot of noise, but you can fade a view towards a general idea if you know what's forcing the pattern.  The fading of an extended cold threat as it gets closer to happening in the northeast would end up supporting the idea that an MJO with ENSO forcing is not the same as your run of the mill MJO event.  Forcing matters, and these analogs have (in my opinion) passed the test this go around and were a useful forecasting tool for this first 12 days of the month.

Good post.  Yeah, the cold looks to be centered more on the Midwest next week.   We look BN but not by much.

In mid Jan a week of - 3 to -5 is cold enough  , and if there is any cover  post Jan 17 you keep any warm up muted .

There may be multiple chances in this pattern . This is by no means a 1 and done pattern once past mid month 

Archived