• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

Hadn't even looked at the extended models in a while. Looks like something might be brewing for the first week of March. The last few runs of the GFS have huge snow totals for IA, MN, lower MI and WI.

That looks like fun. The model has been consistent about a couple moisture laden storms next week.

Would be too funny if more snow ended up falling outside of DJF. It's possible if March opens like this.

gfs_asnow_ncus_41.png

acckucherasnowmw.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Impressive looking storm showing up in early March. May need a thread in a day or two.

One thing I have noted this winter: The Euro, while not 100% correct in the long range (7-10 days), always seems to have an edge on the GFS in terms of trends. If the storm trends northwestward, the Euro will catch that, maybe 12 or more hours before the GFS does. In the 5-8 day forecast window, sometimes there are large shifts in storm track, where the models pick up on the true track.

In the case of the current storm (Feb 24) The 12z Feb16 Euro had it close to Cape May NJ, The 12z Feb16 GFS had it 400mi east of Cape May NJ. All models had to shift the track west/northwest to KY and OH. The Euro caught the trend first. This current storm may not be the perfect case study for my hypothesis, but I think it is true overall.

Got so focused on the March 1-3rd storm, didn't even look at the rest of the GFS run. About 4 snow systems on it. 

Crazy amount of moisture. Reminds me of some of those December runs. I guess it makes sense since the southern jet will start its journey northward.

accqpfmw.png

You guys might have a chance to finish out the season strong up there Josh snow wise by the looks of it. What do you have on the ground now after last nights storm?

It is looking pretty active that is for sure, which is pretty normal this time of the year with the one exception the Lakes are still wide open.

I picked up about around 5" and another inch or so of LES. We are back up around 20" OTG now. To the east of me a couple areas picked up well over a foot upwards of 16"+. It is looking like some rain again Sunday before transitioning to snow. Then next weeks storm is anyone's guess but to be honest I would prefer an early spring as this winter has definitely been a disappointment but wasn't unexpected. 

Still around 30" under for snowfall this year which actually thought would be much more when it started. 

Can someone please explain the reasons behind the awful model performance recently? First, a storm with a 20"+ swath of snow completely disappears 2-3 days out, then several 10-day snow accumulation progs from a few days ago showed 2-3 feet or more of snow in some areas...and now they're showing 70-degree warmth.

Ridiculously horrendous model performance. I'm sure there are reasons...but it's incredibly bad.

Archived