joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see next week's storm having deeper moisture transport than this past storm as it appears to dig further. Why the track looks similar, I could see the storm wrapping up a bit more and even going negative favoring locations farther west. With that being said, there is also a potential this could just turn into a coastal bomb and with this years luck I'd lean more in that camp.

GEM has it too. Much more impressive storm aloft than yesterday's storm though. Massive neg tilt longwave trough. I mean...it has March 1993 potential written on it.

the para euro has kind of a different scenario.  It brings the southern energy out in 2 pieces.  The first is a weaker low that goes off the MA coast.  That's followed by a second low that comes up from the south, much stronger and heads to about DC.   

As far as potential with this, you are correct and the para shows it well.   There's a lot of energy dropping into that trough and if it comes out in one piece it's gonna be one hell of a storm somewhere between the  mississippi and the coast.   A lot of details to work out and twists and turns ahead.  

Of course there's always the possibility that it all gets strung out into a POS and the cold never phases in, but I'd rather consider the fun options. :)

Signs are pointing to the same thermal issues that this last system had. Slush and mix....need this system to bomb out

00z Euro has a pretty big snow storm for OH, KY, WV, W. PA, W. NY. You are right that the temperatures may be close to freezing. It would be better to see 850mb temps around -6C, 1000-500 thicknesses around 534dm, instead of 540dm. Thankfully, -this- run of the Euro cools the temps to -8C at 850mb in Ohio as the low tracks through.

The GFS has this low near Long Island and simultaneously has temps above freezing in Ohio. So that's two things you don't want to see for a strong central Ohio snowstorm.

00z Euro has a pretty big snow storm for OH, KY, WV, W. PA, W. NY. You are right that the temperatures may be close to freezing. It would be better to see 850mb temps around -6C, 1000-500 thicknesses around 534dm, instead of 540dm. Thankfully, -this- run of the Euro cools the temps to -8C at 850mb in Ohio as the low tracks through.

The GFS has this low near Long Island and simultaneously has temps above freezing in Ohio. So that's two things you don't want to see for a strong central Ohio snowstorm.

yep, a complicated cluster isn't going to do it for us when we're coming off a torchy couple days.   We need more of a delay and a stronger storm that can wrap in the cold, riding the apps....    But of course that's obvious I guess.

Archived