November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the sickest block ive seen on the euro

ecmwf_z500a_namer_9.png

Geez...that's just unreal!

If--and that's probably a big if at this point--this actually verifies at that time, it begs the question:  when was the last time we saw a block anything remotely close to that?  I'm thinking literally sometime in the 2009-10 winter, or December 2010.  I swear it must have been that long ago.

Geez...that's just unreal!

If--and that's probably a big if at this point--this actually verifies at that time, it begs the question:  when was the last time we saw a block anything remotely close to that?  I'm thinking literally sometime in the 2009-10 winter, or December 2010.  I swear it must have been that long ago.

That block looks amazing... I really wish I could believe it

Nice -EPO with split flow and some Greenland ridging progged for Thanksgiving week.  If we're going to have a chance at early season snowflakes, it's probably in the Tuesday-Saturday time frame during Thanksgiving week.  Favorable pattern looks fairly transient right now, but doesn't look like it goes back to torch afterwards. 

post-51-0-33776500-1447528243_thumb.gif

Nice -EPO with split flow and some Greenland ridging progged for Thanksgiving week.  If we're going to have a chance at early season snowflakes, it's probably in the Tuesday-Saturday time frame during Thanksgiving week.  Favorable pattern looks fairly transient right now, but doesn't look like it goes back to torch afterwards. 

attachicon.giff240.gif

Nice to see whats being advertised on both the GFS and Euro ens mean wrt to the EPO. Looks at least seasonably chilly for the latter third of the month. We will see about any meaningful NA block. Some subtle signs that the AO may transition to at least neutral in the coming weeks. Hopefully the SAI thing works out for once. We are likely gonna need that -AO this winter..

Nice -EPO with split flow and some Greenland ridging progged for Thanksgiving week. If we're going to have a chance at early season snowflakes, it's probably in the Tuesday-Saturday time frame during Thanksgiving week. Favorable pattern looks fairly transient right now

Good post. As we all mostly expected, any blocking over the next couple weeks looks transient. Euro ens last night show the same type of epo driven cold and split flow in the east to close out the month but low heights consolidated back over the pole. If that's where we are headed then we go warm and boring again when we lose the -epo.

However, could be an interesting last 5 days of the month and potentially into early Dec. Euro ens show the core of the cold anoms moving into the east right as the month ends. Considering climo we'll prob be on the outside looking in if anything happens along the coast but at least we have something to daydream about over the next 2 weeks. I'm sure we'll see some nice long range op strikes....lol

Good post. As we all mostly expected, any blocking over the next couple weeks looks transient. Euro ens last night show the same type of epo driven cold and split flow in the east to close out the month but low heights consolidated back over the pole. If that's where we are headed then we go warm and boring again when we lose the -epo.

However, could be an interesting last 5 days of the month and potentially into early Dec. Euro ens show the core of the cold anoms moving into the east right as the month ends. Considering climo we'll prob be on the outside looking in if anything happens along the coast but at least we have something to daydream about over the next 2 weeks. I'm sure we'll see some nice long range op strikes....lol

Fantasy-land GFS keeps teasing with a wave developing along a cold front and moving up through the SE with some cold air in place.  That's a decent scenario for this time of year.  I wouldn't be surprised if we get some snowy-looking solutions in the next few days.  I doubt we end up getting anything for real of course, but I think we're going to have a brief window with a chance.  I'd be quite happy with SnowTV.  

LR EURO is pretty gross, huge SE ridge forms as tons of energy is dumped into the Southwest US. Let's hope that doesn't happen. Kind of sucks I got really excited with that one EURO run we had earlier this week that had that huge block. 

Maybe your luck will change when you finally realize Euro is not a acronym

Jeff Master's wrote this piece on Nino climo.  It and the CFS argue for a warmer than normal December.  The euro weeklies are warm the first 2 weeks of December.   I'm not a long range guy but if I were to guess, I'd go with a warmish December for us.  I'd nenver say that ths early in a CWG article as I avow no skill beyond two weeks but feel free to geek out here.   Hope I'm wrong about December.

Jeff Master's wrote this piece on Nino climo.  It and the CFS argue for a warmer than normal December.  The euro weeklies are warm the first 2 weeks of December.   I'm not a long range guy but if I were to guess, I'd go with a warmish December for us.  I'd nenver say that ths early in a CWG article as I avow no skill beyond two weeks but feel free to geek out here.   Hope I'm wrong about December.

There are basically no indicators for anything except an above normal first few weeks of December. Kind of expected with Nino anyway. I just hope the SE Ridge doesn't get too comfortable or it is going to be a long winter for us nut jobs. 

There are basically no indicators for anything except an above normal first few weeks of December. Kind of expected with Nino anyway. I just hope the SE Ridge doesn't get too comfortable or it is going to be a long winter for us nut jobs. 

Our winter will largely depend on where the low sets up in and around the GOA.  All indications are that not only will the low set up in a place that will set up a ridge out west and trough in the east, but that the AO will be negative.  There are a lot of things going right for us this year...we just have to be patient.

Our winter will largely depend on where the low sets up in and around the GOA.  All indications are that not only will the low set up in a place that will set up a ridge out west and trough in the east, but that the AO will be negative.  There are a lot of things going right for us this year...we just have to be patient.

what indications?

not with where the warmest anomalies are. they should force a ridge out west as opposed to here on the EC like in 1997.

I was poking fun at Highzenberg posting (more than once) about being concerned about a SE ridge this winter, but I can't see any way that one would be able to establish itself in a strong Nino.

Archived