joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GEFS vary between AK death vortex and a raging +AO. 

Buzz kill. Yeah ensembles don't support the OP that's for sure. The 00z EURO was trying to get a block to form. I think the reason the GFS keeps showing it is because it forms an Omega block between a low in SE Canada and a monster low in the N. Atlantic, which in turn pumps up the heights in the NAO region. 

most blocks in the long range at 300 plus hours are false positives

Yeah we have seen plenty of hints of a block in the LR the past 2 winters. Other than some cheap transient faux one, nothing ever verified. I am in 'I will believe it when I see it' mode, wrt a sustained -AO/-NAO during the winter months.

Yeah we have seen plenty of hints of a block in the LR the past 2 winters. Other than some cheap transient faux one, nothing ever verified. I am in 'I will believe it when I see it' mode, wrt a sustained -AO/-NAO during the winter months.

same here... I'm not that optimistic.

Fozz, we had some decent looks early in 10-11 IIRC but yeah, 09-10 was the last sustained. Obviously I highly doubt the gfs is even close to reality but the run shows the hypothetical progression well. I doubt we have a big +nao all winter this year. We should have some good looks in real time if I had to guess. We're good at wasting good looks though. Heh

The long range GEFS and EPS don't have a very good look IMO.  If you want cold weather that is.  Maybe Bob, Ian, Matt, etc with their knowledge can chime in to confirm.

12z EPS continued its shift with higher heights in the GOA / western Canada during d10-15. Verbatim it implies a potentially cool Tday here. Signs of an ec trough getting a little stronger. Way out in time and very muddy but the last 3 runs are moving in a cooler vs warmer direction towards the end of the month. Still a nasty vortex spinning around the Bering sea though. Not going to get much real cold continental air building up with that in place.  

12z EPS continued its shift with higher heights in the GOA / western Canada during d10-15. Verbatim it implies a potentially cool Tday here. Signs of an ec trough getting a little stronger. Way out in time and very muddy but the last 3 runs are moving in a cooler vs warmer direction towards the end of the month. Still a nasty vortex spinning around the Bering sea though. Not going to get much real cold continental air building up with that in place.  

LWX made a mention of it in their AFD this afternoon

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

A SECONDARY SHORTWAVE/VORT MAX WILL FOLLOW THE PARENT LOW FRIDAY

NIGHT...AND COULD RESULT IN A FEW FLURRIES OR UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS

FRIDAY NIGHT. ANY ACCUMULATION SHOULD REMAIN QUITE LIMITED GIVEN AN

OVERALL LACK OF MOISTURE.

TEMPERATURES WILL BE MUCH COOLER DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE

WEEKEND...SEVERAL DEGREES BELOW NORMAL...AS COOL HIGH PRESSURE

BUILDS OVER THE AREA.

A PERSISTENT POSITIVE PHASE OF THE AO/NAO AND NEGATIVE PHASE OF THE

PNA TELECONNECTIONS SUGGEST THAT ANY COOL SNAP WILL BE BRIEF IN

NATURE...WITH WARMING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED DURING THE SECOND HALF

OF THE WEEKEND INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK AS THE HIGH PRESSURE MOVES

OFFSHORE AND OVERALL SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW RETURNS.

Yeah, looks fairly seasonable, but probably averaging slightly above normal given the lack of available cold air. 

Yeah, looks fairly seasonable, but probably averaging slightly above normal given the lack of available cold air. 

Yea, I carefully used the phrase "potentially cool" lol vs cold. However, I went back over the last 5 eps runs and the shift isn't as subtle. 5 runs ago was a straight warm ridge in our parts with the lowest heights centered in CA on the 24th. Very warm look. Pretty big difference from the 12z run today. Ridge here is all but gone. I just don't want to wear shorts on Tday. I mean I love wearing shorts and tees but absolutely not on that specific holiday.

Yea, I carefully used the phrase "potentially cool" lol vs cold. However, I went back over the last 5 eps runs and the shift isn't as subtle. 5 runs ago was a straight warm ridge in our parts with the lowest heights centered in CA on the 24th. Very warm look. Pretty big difference from the 12z run today. Ridge here is all but gone. I just don't want to wear shorts on Tday. I mean I love wearing shorts and tees but absolutely not on that specific holiday.

Be honest Bob, that's the one day you don't want to be showing off turkey legs! :P

Doesn't the look of ensembles tend to flatten as you go out further in time? As a general rule?

Doesn't the look of ensembles tend to flatten as you go out further in time? As a general rule?

Absolutely. Another way of describing is "smoothing". And the smoother everything looks the more spread in the mix and vice versa. A good exercise with lr ens plots is to pick a specific point in time and open up the last 3-4 runs in separate tabs. Then toggle through them. Really good insight to which direction things are going. 

One thing that seems to have little spread right now is the vortex wobbling around between the bering sea and the pole. Looks like 100% consensus at 15 day leads. lol. 

Absolutely. Another way of describing is "smoothing". And the smoother everything looks the more spread in the mix and vice versa. A good exercise with lr ens plots is to pick a specific point in time and open up the last 3-4 runs in separate tabs. Then toggle through them. Really good insight to which direction things are going.

One thing that seems to have little spread right now is the vortex wobbling around between the bering sea and the pole. Looks like 100% consensus at 15 day leads. lol.

I know you're just discussing what the model shows, but imho it seems like a fair number of folks are getting real concerned wayyyyy to early in the game. The reliable seasonal models are showing what we want to see, but not until mid to late January and beyond. As we know, that's not unusual for a NINO, especially a mod to strong one. I say there's a 50/50 shot at a fluke in December, which isn't unusual in any year. Then, unless even this weenie is too conservative, things start getting real interesting and fun come mid January. And I'm going down with the ship on my call of AN snow at BWI. So d@mn the torpedoes, full steam ahead on the Weenie Cruise Lines for the winter of 15/16. Enso 4 is gunna save us.

Archived